Before I screw up something...

Hello,

I think I need bit of help here. When EF scans for new files, it finds Office temporary files and then when they disappear it complains.
The files names typically start with ~$, something like ~$myfile.xlsx…

I think I need to use: defaults write com.c-command.EagleFiler UnscannedFilenames

But I am not sure how. Something like:
defaults write com.c-command.EagleFiler UnscannedFilenames -array “~$*” ???

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks

Jan

You’re on the right track, but the UnscannedFilenames default only accepts full filenames, not patterns. You could use:

defaults write com.c-command.EagleFiler ImportSkipFilenamePattern '~\$.*\.xlsx"

The pattern is in the form of a regular expression. However, it seems like this is something that EagleFiler should handle automatically. (Thanks for bringing it to my attention.) I experimented with Microsoft Office 2008 and 2011, and it seems that only Excel generates these files, and only for the .xlsx format. Are you seeing any temporary files created by Word or PowerPoint?

I do not recall seeing other temp files.

I have used:

defaults write com.c-command.EagleFiler ImportSkipFilenamePattern '~\$.*'

I believe there was mistake in your code - " instead of ’ at the end. At least I was unable to get it accpeted until I changed the quote type. Also seems sensible to just mask ~$ files, no one sane (at least me) is going to generate such file names…

Thanks a lot, this works!

jan

Yes, it should be a single quote.

EagleFiler 1.5.8 will skip these files automatically.

I’m running 1.6.6 on El Capitan with Office 2016 and EF is indexing these files for Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc, causing the same problem as the original post. Is there a way to manually set EF to ignore them for all Office applications?

What are the names of some of the Excel files that got imported, and how did you import them?

Did you try the Terminal command from earlier in this thread?

defaults write com.c-command.EagleFiler ImportSkipFilenamePattern '~\$.*'

This is built into EagleFiler 1.6.8.