C-Command Software Forum

Download previous version?

Hi. 2.6.6 is not doing it for me. I now get way lots more spam in my inbox than ever before. Something must be wrong with the new version. I’ve tried everything, even starting from scratch and have been patient many days. But I would really like to go back to the previous version. That one worked and I only got 3-5 spam messages A WEEK! Now I get up to 25 PER DAY! I already sent in my corpus, etc., etc., and did all the author says to do and it is the same, no change and lots of spam making it in to my inbox. I get more spam than good mail. So, please post a download URL for the previous version and please check 2.6.6, it really has something wrong with it; it is not better than the previous one.

What’s your name? I was unable to find any e-mails from “bichufo.” Nor do I have any record of someone sending in their corpus. (I hardly ever ask anyone to do that.)

As far as I can tell, only one person has reported a problem like this since updating to 2.6.6. This person sent in a log file on January 28. I suggested (a) setting SpamSieve to be more aggressive and (b) re-training SpamSieve with a smaller number of recent messages.

In the submitted log file, the differences between 2.6.5 and 2.6.6 were not quite as extreme as described above. During the last week of using 2.6.5, 15 spams got through. In the days following installation of 2.6.6, the numbers were 2, 14, 6, 4, and 11. Certainly the accuracy is going down, but there are several possible explanations for that. Spam messages and the user’s corpus and rules are all changing over time.

Some other things, which I noticed on looking at the log again:

  • I found one spam message (subject beginning with “Fabricacion,” maybe there are more) that SpamSieve thought was good, but it wasn’t until a week later that it was trained as spam. I recommend correcting any mistakes promptly so that SpamSieve isn’t working from incorrect information.

  • I also saw some spam messages that got through because the sender was in the address book and SpamSieve had been configured to never mark such messages as spam. In this case, it looks like the sender address belonged to the recipient, so to catch these messages SpamSieve should be configured to exclude that address.

I don’t think there were any changes in 2.6.6 that would cause a reduction in accuracy, but if there were then I would really like to know the specifics so that I can fix it. Thus, I think the best course of action would be for you to send me your log and false negative files. Then I can see what’s happening and compare the ways that 2.6.5 and 2.6.6 analyze the messages. If indeed there is a difference, I’ll send you 2.6.5 or perhaps a pre-release version that fixes the problem.

Got it working (more or less)
Thanks for the reply. I spent half a day getting SpamSieve to a more or less decent level again by removing it entirely, dumpling the old corpus and starting from scratch. Had to retrain it with spam and good messages and I then upped the Spam-catching agressiveness just a wee bit. So far so good although I get more spam in my inbox than I did before the upgrade. I still maintain that 2.6.5 was doing a better job. So thanks for the time and may the new version be even better. Anyways, SpamSieve is the BEST solution I have ever used for getting rid of SPAM. Keep up the good work which by the way shows since you make a big effort to reply to messages on and off the forum.

I’m glad to hear that it’s working better now. I’d still like to see your false negative files so that I can see whether there’s a difference between how 2.6.5 and 2.6.6 are analyzing those messages. In order to make the next version better, I need to know what works and what doesn’t.