The following was posted on the EagleFiler blog:
Version 1.6 of EagleFiler is now available. This is a free update that includes the following enhancements:
- The user interface is now optimized for Retina displays. Most of the icons have been enhanced or replaced.
- There are new toolbar buttons for creating plain text files, creating new files from stationery, setting a file’s label, opening the Tag Cloud window, and accessing the system Share
menu. Various toolbar buttons have been combined into pairs. - Improved the display of the following file types: Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Keynote, Numbers, Pages, OmniOutliner, podcasts, chats, SVG files, Pear Note documents, .emlx files, images, and more.
- Made a variety of improvements so that the operations that happen after you open a library are faster and have less impact on foreground responsiveness. This includes loading file metadata, checking whether the indexes are up-to-date, checking for missing files, and copying tags to OpenMeta and Spotlight comments.
- When searching a selected folder or tag, EagleFiler now also searches the folders and mailboxes inside that folder, or the subtags of that tag. (The old behavior of only searching one level can be restored by unchecking Search Contained Folders/Mailboxes/Tags
in the search field menu.) - Added support for negative tag searches via the - or ! syntax. For example, you can do a Tags
search for unread -flagged to find the unread records that are not flagged. Or you can do an Anywhere search for tag:!apple steve to find records containing the word steve that do not have the tag apple. - When you create a new file inside a smart folder, EagleFiler now applies the smart folder’s actions to it (e.g. to assign tags, set the label, or move it to a particular folder).
- The New Record ‣ From Clipboard command now works when the clipboard contains an image. In this case, it creates a PNG file instead of an RTF/RTFD file.
- EagleFiler’s capture key now works in Evernote. You can use the EvernoteCaptureFormat esoteric preference if you only want to capture a link to the Evernote items.
- The user interface no longer blocks while EagleFiler checks the To Import folder.
- When importing, EagleFiler will now correct PDF files that are missing their extension.
- EagleFiler will now detect if Microsoft Outlook doesn’t export the body data for a message, which can happen with messages imported from the Windows version of Outlook. You can choose to import just the message’s headers or to skip the message and import it in another way.
- Added support for AudioNote files.
- When importing a Web page fails, EagleFiler is better at reporting which resource was the problem.
- When fetching a URL that’s redirected (e.g. via a feed proxy) EagleFiler now stores the final URL as the source URL, as this is more meaningful.
- The Importing Web Pages and URLs section of the manual now explains how you can set EagleFiler to process Web pages using the Instapaper Mobilizer before importing them.
- Updated the instructions for making Preview scriptable.
- When importing, files with title “Untitled” are now treated as having no title, so that the title is linked to the filename.
- When you capture a single selected e-mail message, EagleFiler now imports it as a .eml file, rather than as a mailbox containing only one message. This can be changed via the ImportLoneMessageAsMailbox esoteric preference.
- The Remove Duplicate Messages script lets you remove duplicate e-mail messages from a mailbox.
- EagleFiler can now open e-mail messages with Sparrow.
- EagleFiler now shows a warning if you ask it to extract a large number of messages from a mailbox file to individual .eml files (as this is inefficient).
- If you capture a selection of messages that includes (exact) duplicates within the same mailbox, EagleFiler now skips them. (Since recent versions of Apple Mail hide duplicates, it may not be evident that you had any selected.)
- Improved the speed of capturing from Outlook, Entourage, Mailsmith, and PowerMail.
- When displaying a mailbox imported from a Mailman archive, EagleFiler can now undo Mailman’s anti-spam measures to display the proper e-mail addresses.
- Added the Import From Outlook script.
- If there’s an error importing the tags for a message in Outlook, EagleFiler now offers to option to skip the tags and import just the message itself.
- EagleFiler is much more responsive when you’re typing.
- The record viewer now restores its state (scroll position and insertion point location) if you edit the file in another application and then switch back to EagleFiler.
- EagleFiler can now repair certain damaged Apple Mail messages so that they display properly.
- The keyboard shortcut for highlighting text is now Command-Control-H (to match Preview).
- Updated the source list appearance, added Show
/Hide buttons for the groups, etc. - The Records
icon now shows whether or not your library is encrypted. - The source list contextual menu now has a Paste Icon
command to more easily set custom icons for folders. - Added NetNewsWire-style arrow key support: press Right Arrow in the source list to go to the records list; press Left Arrow in the records list to go to the source list.
- Dragging a record to another application now drags the record’s file rather than a link; if you need a link, use the Copy Record Link command.
- Icon thumbnails for images are now loaded in the background and cached for better performance.
- Added support for LaunchBar’s Instant Send feature.
- The File
column can now accommodate longer filenames. - When a window is in the background, EagleFiler no longer draws the label color for selected rows across the entire row.
- Added the CommandOToOpenRecord esoteric preference, which lets you swap the keyboard shortcuts for Open External Viewer
and Open Library… so that.
- If a file is missing after a Verify, you can now click the Trash
button in the Errors window to delete it, without having to first reveal the record in the library. - The Errors
window now shows the full relative path for files that are missing. - EagleFiler now reports separate errors for missing vs. damaged notes, and for a missing note it can now show and reveal the file where the note was expected to be.
- If there are records in the trash whose files are missing, EagleFiler will now offer to auto-delete them when opening the library.
- EagleFiler now updates the paths in the Errors
window when you move a record. - It’s now possible to Trash
multiple records at once from the Errors window. You can no longer move files to the trash that are already in the trash. - The crash reporter can now make recommendations for you based on the contents of the crash log.
- If you import via AppleScript with no library open, EagleFiler will now report an error back to the script instead of just logging it.
- Capture scripts can now override the Web page format. (See Writing Capture Scripts.)
- Documents now have an element for their windows.
- Tag objects now have an element for the records with that tag. This is much faster than using an AppleScript whose clause.
- Querying the scripting properties of large numbers of records is much faster now.
- Added the create temporary folder script command, to make it easier to write scripts that process files.
- Added the add folder script command, which makes it easier to create a new, empty folder in a library.
- EagleFiler now requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later.
- EagleFiler now tells the system that it can use the integrated GPU, which should reduce battery use on newer MacBook Pros.
- The progress bar for loading the library is now determinate. Eliminated the delay between when the progress bar was removed and the window was ready for use.
- Added preliminary support for tags on Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks.
- When opening a library, EagleFiler now checks for missing note files, rather than just missing files.
- If you have a file that’s troublesome or slow for EagleFiler to read, you can tag it ef_noindex
to prevent EagleFiler from trying to index it. There’s also a new UnindexedAttachmentNames default. - When backing up metadata, the Activity
window now shows the relative path of each folder, rather than just the name. - When displaying folder names in menus, EagleFiler now colors them according to their labels.
- EagleFiler no longer changes a file’s modification date when you only modify the metadata.
- EagleFiler now remembers which type of date was selected in the Info
window. - EagleFiler now displays file sizes using the system standard style (requires Mac OS X 10.8 or later), and the file sizes themselves are more accurate.
- If an indexing process gets stuck, you can now see in Activity Monitor which file it was working on.
- Quick Look and scanning for new files work better with symlinks.
- The Read
and Flag toolbar items now have a fixed width so they don’t cause the other buttons to move when the label changes. - The Purchase
window now shows a user icon that indicates whether it’s a single- or multi-user purchase. - The disk image is now optimized for Retina displays.
- Made various improvements to the manual.
- Added a link to the forum in the Help
menu. - Improved the localizations.
- Fixed a bug with the quoted text coloring for e-mails containing DOS-style line breaks.
- Worked around an OS bug that could cause EagleFiler to freeze when selecting a Web archive if a search was active.
- Fixed a bug importing from Apple Mail where EagleFiler would sometimes complain that no viewer window was open when the Mail Perspectives plug-in was installed.
- Fixed a bug capturing from Contacts.
- Fixed a bug where the Highlight
button was enabled when it shouldn’t have been. - Fixed a bug where the PDF toolbar buttons weren’t always enabled correctly.
- Worked around an OS bug that could cause various operations to fail if a folder contained a very large number of files.
- Fixed a bug where some information in the About EagleFiler
window was displayed incorrectly. - Fixed a bug where sometimes EagleFiler was unable to capture local Apple Mail messages when running on Mac OS X 10.8.
- Worked around a bug in Mac OS X 10.8 that could prevent EagleFiler from importing a large batch of messages from Entourage, Mailsmith, Outlook, or PowerMail.
- Automatic software updates no longer fail if Hazel is set to move files in the Downloads folder.
- Fixed a bug where the Spotlight importer would report errors when running on OS X 10.8.
- Fixed a bug where some OmniOutliner documents displayed as garbled text.
- Worked around a problem where Apple Mail could time out when importing lots of messages at once.
- Worked around a bug in Mac OS X 10.8.2 that could cause EagleFiler to freeze when importing a file or changing a tag.
- Fixed a bug where EagleFiler sometimes would not delete temporary files promptly when importing from Apple Mail.
- Fixed a bug where error logging didn’t always work properly on Mac OS X 10.8.
- Fixed a bug in reporting errors when opening a library.
- Worked around an OS bug that could cause Spotlight comments to be lost when using the To Import folder.
- Fixed a bug where it was possible to end up with two equivalent tags whose names had different Unicode normalizations.
- Worked around an OS bug that could cause EagleFiler to capture the wrong file from the Finder.
- Worked around some PDF and icon display bugs that were introduced in Mac OS X 10.7.4.
- Fixed a bug handling errors if the software update failed; if it succeeded, the .dmg file is now deleted.
- Fixed a bug where an error message when displaying a text or RTF file could be editable.
- Fixed a bug pasting tags into the fields in the Actions
tab of the Edit Smart Folder… window. - Fixed a bug where “Tags contains all” in smart folders could incorrectly find a record that was missing one of the tags (if that tag was not assigned to any records).
- Worked around an OS bug that could cause the records list to lose focus when hiding and showing EagleFiler.
- Fixed a bug where the source list sometimes had focus when using the contextual menu in the records list.
- Worked around an OS bug that could cause errors when auto-completing tag names.
EagleFiler 1.6 works with Mac OS X 10.6.8 through 10.8. Older versions are available for older operating systems. For information about previous releases of EagleFiler, please see the version history.