C-Command Software Forum

False negative not showing up in logs

I have a false negative that’s not showing up in the logs. It appears to fit a rule in my blocklist which states “Body (any text part) Contains I am nice girl” but since it doesn’t show up in the logs, I can’t tell why it wasn’t caught. I thought every email gets filtered through SpamSieve since I’m using Apple Mail (Tiger) but the log only seems to show a tiny fraction of actual mail received. Why is this?

Furthermore, after I used the “Train as Spam” script on it, the false negative doesn’t show up in the storage folder allocated to it. However, other false negatives are there. I’m confused. Why are some and not all false negatives there? And the logs only show SpamSieve as adding rules for the “From” headers (which are bloody useless since these are never repeated) when my rule above with the text “I am nice girl” is definitely repeated in all the spams of this type and would have caught it if only SpamSieve had used it (but the number of hits is still 0)!

In order for all the mail to be filtered by SpamSieve, you must setup the SpamSieve rule in Mail exactly as shown and put it at the top of the list. Otherwise, your other mail rules may hide some of the messages from SpamSieve.

All the false negatives are there. A false negative a spam message that SpamSieve thought was good. If SpamSieve was not asked to filter the message, then it can’t be a false negative.

Ah! Got it. I just discovered that my SpamSieve rule had migrated downwards in my ruleset in Tiger’s Mail.app.

All the false negatives are there. A false negative a spam message that SpamSieve thought was good. If SpamSieve was not asked to filter the message, then it can’t be a false negative.

Okay, understood.

Thanks for the clarification.