Imported pdf files are read-only

Hi,

The last month I’ve experienced that most of the pdf files I import into EagleFiler turn out to be read-only, i.e. Skim comments can only be saved by first revealing the file in Finder and changing permissions to read-write.

Is there a hidden Skim preference for this, or do I need to do file permission repair on my EagleFiler library?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Bram Adams

Yes, it sounds like you’ll need to repair the permissions. EagleFiler does not modify the permissions when importing files, so you might want to look into why the files that you’re importing are read-only.

Hi,

Finally found the problem, but not yet the solution. When browsing, I usually only import a pdf into Eaglefiler after I have opened it in Skim:

1. browse to online pdf (inline pdf view)
  2. click on the Safari pdf control “Open PDF in Preview”
  3. drag icon of the pdf to Eaglefiler if pdf is interesting

Step 2 causes the permission problems. On my machine, Safari temporarily stores the pdf in step 2 in a directory under DARWIN_USER_TEMP_DIR (/private/var/folders/…/-Tmp-) with permission 400, i.e. read-only. If later on, in step 3, I drag the pdf to Eaglefiler, it stays read-only.

Did other people experience a similar problem? If so, how can this be solved?

Thanks in advance,

Bram Adams

PS: The directory with the pdf has as extended attributes: “com.apple.quarantine 38”.

You could press the capture key while viewing the PDF in Safari. Then EagleFiler will download it with the proper permissions, and you can open it in Skim from within EagleFiler (or delete it if it turns out to be uninteresting).

Hi,

The problem is that capturing does not always work for sites that are secured. During a capture, EagleFiler re-loads the current URL of Safari, even though the pdf has already been downloaded (visible on screen). If the current session is almost expired, or re-loading the pdf requires credentials again, EagleFiler cannot access the actual pdf and it (usually) generates a pdf of the login or error screen instead.

That’s why I first click to open the pdf locally before importing. Ideally:

• capture should first try to import a local copy of a pdf (i.e. the one Safari is showing)
  • it would be nice if there was an option in the capture window to immediately open a pdf after importing (instead of having to go to EagleFiler and double click)

Kind regards,

Bram Adams

You should still be able to Save As into EagleFiler’s “To Import” folder, though.

In general there is no reliable local copy for EagleFiler to access.

Good idea—thanks.

Hi,

Hmm, that works, but requires a few more key strokes (and defers classification of the file). Clicking the on screen “Download” button in Safari and dragging the downloaded file into the right folder of EagleFiler is a bit faster, actually as fast as what I was doing before. Together with the open-pdf-after-import feature that would be the best compromise, I think.

Thanks for the help!

Kind regards,

Bram Adams