Navigating up in the folder hierarchy

Hello,

I would like to know if the following is possible: I’m looking at a bunch of text files in EF that are in a folder, and I would like to navigate to another folder using only the keyboard. The focus is in the record list. Here is what I tried:

• the Finder shortcut (cmd-up) does the same thing as up, i.e. moving to the previous record;
  • View -> Select Source (alt-cmd-r) does nothing;
  • tabbing to get the focus to the source view fails: as soon as I get in the record view, I’m editing the text file, and tabs are then added to the text.

What I found worked is shift-tab to go back to the source view, but I don’t find it natural.

If cmd-up is not bound to anything, could it be bound to “go up in the source hierarchy”? Similarly for cmd-down when the selected record is a folder to go inside the folder?

Thanks,

Alan

If you’ve selected a file whose container is not selected in the source list, Select Source should select the parent folder in the source list.

Throughout Mac OS X, you can use Control-Tab to change the focus instead of entering a Tab character.

That sounds like a good idea. I’ll look into it.

Ah, I had misunderstood the “select source” function. And thanks a lot for the ctrl-tab tip, it’s most useful.

I’ve added these in EagleFiler 1.4.