Read and Unread emails in Spam folder

During my brief trial of SpamSieve, I had had about 20 spam messages moved into my Spam folder. All were correctly colored blue, indicating high confidence of “spaminess” and had no blue dot to the left of the email, which implied that had been “read”. I received one spam with a yellow color, correctly indicating moderate spaminess. However, it did have a blue dot implying it had not been “read”. Why the difference?

I wanted to include an image of two blue and one yellow incidences to make this clear, but the Add Image icon is a bit ambiguous as to how to add the right URL. I’ll try, but I don’t expect it to work.

/Users/Chip/Desktop/Screen Shot.pngThanks for any info!

“Red” [sic] and Unread emails in Spam folder
That’s “Read”, not Red.* [faceplant]*

I don’t know. SpamSieve doesn’t change the read/unread status of incoming messages unless you have modified the rule to do that. Are you using the standard rule that’s shown here?

After clicking the button to add an image, click “From Computer” and then choose the image file that you want to upload. If you instead specify a URL, it would have to be the URL of an image that’s already posted to the Web somewhere.

Anyway, I think I understand what you meant without having to see a screenshot.

SpamSieve doesn’t change the read/unread status of incoming messages unless you have modified the rule to do that. Are you using the standard rule that’s shown here?

Yes. Exactly the same rule. It’s a minor puzzle which does not detract from the usefulness app, but I thought you should know.

But when I again tried to insert an image, clicking the Insert Image icon in the toolbar brings up a URL field, but not a From Computer link. Any idea what’s going on there? I mare a copy of what I see when I try to insert an image and put it on Dropbox. Hopefully you can see it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfwu6l3jicf8gyb/Insert%20image.jpeg?dl=0

Thanks. If you have access to Webmail, could you tell me whether it shows the messages in question as read or unread?

Which browser are you using? In Safari, if I click this:

Button.png

I get this:

From Computer.png

Weirdness with the image link

If you have access to Webmail, could you tell me whether it shows the messages in question as read or unread?

Unfortunately, I read it to get rid of the counter showing unread messages, which I find annoying. As far as I’m concerned, SpamSieve’s implicit “reading” of the spam, which eliminates the counter showing up, is one of it’s best features!

Which browser are you using?

Safari. Everything up-to-date. I thought it might be my use of Ghostery or AdBlockPlus, but turning these off didn’t change anything. Very strange. If I figure it out, I’ll let you know. Don’t worry about it, you have more important things to do. In the meantime, if I need to send an image, I’ll use the Dropbox trick.

Thanks for developing such a great app!

Weirdness continues
Mike, feel free to ignore this if you wish, but I’d sure like to understand what’s going on.

I’m still getting items in my Apple Mail trash folder like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4yldi7iaupqe5r/Trash%20with%20unread%20mail.jpeg?dl=0

Rather than finding it in the SpamSieve folder, even though I have turned off the server-side filtering of this AT&T/Bellsouth/Yahoo ISP email account:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9g095vzxtib4afc/Yahoo%20mail%20filter.png?dl=0

Checking the email on Yahoo webmail on Safari, it shows as an unread message in the Yahoo Spam folder.

Can you help me understand why the message is not being forwarded to SpamSieve and sorted there?

It looks like your Yahoo rule is set up correctly. I would suggest contacting Yahoo to see if they can tell you why it did not match this message.

Secondly, if the message appears in Yahoo’s Spam mailbox but in your Mac’s Trash mailbox, that suggests that your copy of Mail is configured to use Yahoo’s Spam mailbox as the trash. You can fix this by selecting the actual Yahoo Trash mailbox in Mail and choosing Mailbox > Use This Mailbox As > Trash Mailbox.