Save Safari Reader version as one-page PDF

I’m not sure if this is a problem that EagleFiler can help with, but since it’s a hammer that I have, I want to use it to bang this nail in.

1. Find a site with a good article, but terrible web design and a bunch of superfluous crap all over it. This shouldn’t be difficult, but if you need an example, try https://www.askdavetaylor.com/plex-support-multiple-edits-cuts-of-movie-film/

2. Scroll down to the bottom of the article to make sure that the images all load.

3. Invoke Safari Reader

4. Notice that Safari Reader has superbly cut out all of the crap that I don’t want, and left only what I do want.

5. Save that result as a “One Page” PDF.

I’m never actually going to print this out, I just want it in some “portable” format that I can archive on my hard drive so when I’m trying to remember how to do this in a year, I can find it locally instead of having to search the web (again).

However, I can’t figure out a way to save from Safari Reader to a one-page PDF.

EagleFiler can save as a one-page PDF, but it doesn’t use the Safari Reader mode, it goes to the original source URL (which also means that the images don’t all load in the PDF that ends up in EagleFiler.

Is there a way to get from Safari-Reader View —> One-Page PDF?

Turns out this was sort-of “Asked And Answered” here:

The end result is a web archive instead of a PDF.

If there’s a way to make it end up a one-page PDF, that would be ideal, but otherwise, I can live with this.

I think the service is still the best way. I’m hoping to add direct support for Safari Reader in a future version.

1 Like

That would be more than awesome!

1 Like

After importing to EagleFiler, you can use the applescript “Web archive to PDF”. As it is it converts the webarchive into a multipage PDF, but by replacing this line:

set _script to _web2pdf's quoted form & " print "

with this one:

set _script to _web2pdf's quoted form & " screen "

should do the trick, creating a single-page PDF. (I saw this previously in the forum but can’t remember the source…)

Cheers.

2 Likes