C-Command Software Forum

SpamSieve 2.8.3

The following was posted on the SpamSieve blog:

SpamSieve has been updated to version 2.8.3. This is a free update that includes the following changes:

  • Adjusted SpamSieve’s tokenizer to improve the filtering accuracy.
  • Improved compatibility with pre-release versions of Apple Mail.
  • MailForge now works with SpamSieve, as described in the Setting up MailForge section of the manual.
  • Made some changes to better support the upcoming Microsoft Outlook 2011. (Full support will come when Office ships.)
  • Added various updates and clarifications to the manual.
  • Fixed a regression where SpamSieve wouldn’t be able to install its Apple Mail plug-in if Mail’s folder had been redirected using an alias.
  • Fixed a bug where SpamSieve would sometimes quit when coming out of trial mode.
  • Fixed a bug where sometimes the Hits
    column in a rules window couldn’t be resized. - Worked around an OS bug that could cause an internal error when reporting a corpus error.
  • Made various modernizations to SpamSieve’s code and interface files.
  • The Apple Mail plug-in now shows up with the proper name in Mail Plugin Manager.
  • Updated the disk image layout.

Going downhill fast
I installed this last night I think, and already I’m getting way more spam passing through the filter than I used to. :frowning:

Does is taking training time? Why isn’t it working as well as before?

Any time you see a massive change in accuracy, it’s probably due to a setup problem rather than a change in the filter, training, or spam.

I just went through the checklist and everything is good. I’ve been using SpamSieve for years successfully (and like it).

I did the test and it worked as expected, using one of the spam emails I got after installing 2.8.3 (that I had already trained as spam) as the test case.

OK, then please submit a report via e-mail so that I can help you.

Sent.

BTW, Great work on the documentation! Really nice to see that. :slight_smile:

According to your log file, you’ve trained SpamSieve with three spam messages since updating to 2.8.3. One of them was a lottery message that SpamSieve gave a score of 18. The other two were similar messages from the same address where the first one got a score of 27. So it thought both of these messages were borderline, and I don’t see this as a major change. Just unlucky, perhaps.

Kind of amazing that 3 qualifies as a noticeable amount of spam with SpamSieve :slight_smile:

Okay, if it looks good to you, that’s all I wanted to hear. If it stays at that level, I’ll let you know (I generally get 3 spam a month – at least that’s what it feels like).

Thanks for the help, and have a great day!

I also noticed that I was getting more spam after this update. I followed the setup verification listed above, and found that my rules did not have SpamSieve checked as active. I never use those mail rules myself, and the last time I even went in there was when I first installed SpamSieve years ago. Did something happen with this update that turned the switch off during the install?

No, the update doesn’t touch the rules. However, they can be modified or disabled by other software, e.g. MobileMe syncing.

Hmm. I do use MobileMe sync, but this is the first time I can recall this happening. Odd coincidence.

where are the black and white list?
I am with OS X (10.5.8 version).

When I click on “Filters - display Black (or white list), or add list”, nothing happen.

… and I am starting receiving SPAMS again.

HELP!

There is a bug in the non-English localizations that makes the blocklist and whitelist windows not open. However, this does not affect the filtering accuracy. Please contact spamsieve@c-command.com for a workaround.

Amen!
Long time fan, short term unhappy. There is simple NO question the new update allows SIGNIFICANTLY more spam to get through…much of which appears “obvious.”

This is not a user “setting” issue, this is a programmer issue. FIX IT or on to better solutions.

Based on the symptoms you describe and the lack of other reports of problems like this, I think it’s likely that there’s a setup or training problem on your particular Mac. However, either way, if you’d like a solution please send in a report so that I can investigate where the problem is.

This is fixed in SpamSieve 2.8.4.