SpamSieve is missing messages

Hello,

I’m having messages arrive in my Mail program that SpamSieve is totally missing. When I open the SpamSieve log there is no record that SpamSieve even attempted to identify these messages as spam or not, and therefore they’re not being moved to the correct Spam folder that I have set up.

I’m using Mac Mountain Lion and the Mail program, Mountain Lion has been updated to the most recent version.

Thanks

If there’s no record of the message in the log, that means the SpamSieve rule in Apple Mail was not applied. This could be because of a problem with the rule setup or because Mail didn’t think the message was new (e.g. it had been marked as read on another computer or device).

The SpamSieve rule has been set up exactly per the instructions, and there are no other rules applied, either on this Mac or in iCloud. Nor would these messages be marked as read with other accounts that I know of, unless there’s some quirk where iCloud is marking messages as junk and as read before they’d even get to my Mail program on this computer

What happens when you do the test at the bottom of Checking the Apple Mail Setup? Also, please see Sending in Apple Mail Rules for how to send in information about your rules via e-mail.

The test works fine, .plist file is attached

MessageRules.txt (10.3 KB)

Please check the setup again. The file shows that you have multiple rules for processing spam and junk (which you should not have when using SpamSieve) and also that you are missing the “SpamSieve” rule.

Those both check out… and most messages are getting caught by SpamSieve, it’s just about 1 out of every 5 junk mails is getting sorted into my Junk Folder without ever showing up in SpamSieves log file

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Could it be that .plist file from the wrong spot? (I followed the instructions to grab it) … I tried quitting Mail, deleting that file and opening Mail back up and my SpamSieve rule is still showing up in my preferences

I thought you meant that the messages were left in the inbox. If they’re in the Junk mailbox, that could be due to a spam filter on your mail server that is moving the messages before they are seen by Apple Mail.

Is there a workaround for this? Perhaps setting up a Rule to move all Junk mail to the InBox? Would SpamSieve be able to catch these messages then? It doesn’t appear that there is a way to shut down Junk Mail filtering on the iCloud server

No. Apple Mail is specifically designed to only (automatically) apply rules to messages in the inbox.

Why do you need SpamSieve to catch them when they are already caught?

That’s correct, although there are some workarounds.

The issue with this is that when mails get caught by SpamSieve, moved and are marked as read… when they don’t go through SpamSieve and are moved to iCloud’s Junk Mail folder no matter what Rules I add I can’t get them to be marked as read. I don’t mind if they’re in two spots, I just don’t want to be made to know that they’re there when they’re marked as new messages. And I would much rather have SpamSieve handle these junk mails to keep spam off of my iPhone and iCloud.

I think the only way around that would be to use a mail provider other than iCloud.