SpamSieve Rule disappears in Mail after closing application

Hi there. In a nutshell, the SpamSieve rule disappears every time I close the Apple Mail application.

The filter works well while it’s running. I also have SpamSieve installed on my 2019 iMac without any issues. Any help is most welcome. Thank you.

MacBook Pro
16 inch
MacOS 13.1

Best wishes, Dominic

This likely indicates a file permissions problem on your Mac (so that Mail isn’t able to save the rules to disk) or a problem with iCloud syncing (so that your rules are being overwritten from the cloud).

Please use the Save Diagnostic Report command in the Help menu and send me the report file, as described here and I can look into what you should do.

Hi Michael, thanks very much. Please find the report attached. Best wishes, Dominic

SpamSieve Diagnostic Report.tbz (5.6 MB)

Thanks, however the report unfortunately is missing some relevant information. Could you update to SpamSieve 2.9.51, which improves the diagnostic report feature?

Thank you, Michael. Update attached.
SpamSieve Diagnostic Report.tbz (9.4 MB)

Thanks. This seems to be a different situation than what I’ve seen before. There don’t seem to be any old rules saved in iCloud, and the file permissions seem to be OK. So it’s not clear why Mail hasn’t saved the rules to disk.

You could try clearing out any ACLs just in case there’s one that I’m not seeing. First you will need to grant Full Disk Access to the Terminal app. Then, please open the Terminal application, enter this command (all on one line):

sudo chmod -RN ~/Library/Mail

and press Return. It will ask for your Mac’s administrator password.

Thanks, Michael. If I understand correctly, I already had Full Disk Access activated for SpamSieve. I then granted access to the Terminal

Should I leave this turned on or now revert the Terminal’s access?

I then entered the instruction in Terminal (see screenshot). However, Mail still isn’t saving the rule.
Thank you.

You can turn it off for Terminal afterwards.

It may help to restart your Mac in safe mode and then create the rule there.

Hi Michael,

I believe I’ve solved the SpamSieve Rul disappearing in Apple Mail.

It seems that there was a conflict with iCloud. Following the steps in this article.) appears to have solved the problem.

I hope this is useful. Best wishes, Dominic

I’m glad to hear that you found a fix. Thanks for the follow-up and link.