C-Command Software Forum

Three devices - best SpamSieve deployment?

I have three devices I want to keep spam off of; a desktop mac mini, a macbook air and an iPhone. I bought a copy of SpamSieve and installed it on my laptop and it seems to be working great, but only for the mailboxes on that machine and only when that machine is running.
If I move the program to the desktop machine, I know I can get the iPhone to sync to that via IMAP, but will the laptop sync too? Does Apple treat the desktop Mail client and the laptop Mail client as one?
Do I need to buy a second copy of SpamSieve for the desktop? If I did that, I wouldn’t be able to keep the training in sync easily, would I?

It’s best to have all the devices using IMAP so that they will all sync the messages and share the same mailboxes.

SpamSieve is licensed per-person, so it’s not necessary to purchase a second copy to install it on a second Mac.

Right. Please see Using SpamSieve With Multiple Macs.

I need to get this straightened out. I have to mark messages as read in multiple places which must mean I don’t have the syncing right.

SpamSieve is licensed per-person, so it’s not necessary to purchase a second copy to install it on a second Mac.

Oh, that’s great. I’d misunderstood when I bought it then. I put it on the laptop because that’s what I use most, but if I don’t need to buy another copy, I’ll put it on the desktop too. Thanks!

Right. Please see Using SpamSieve With Multiple Macs.

Thanks for the quick and helpful response. I’ll check out that link which I hadn’t found looking at the manual TOC myself.

The thing to check is whether you have the same mailbox list and the messages appear in the same mailboxes on each device. Unfortunately, although the read status is supposed to sync, due to bugs in certain mail server software (or perhaps Apple Mail itself) the read status may not always reliably sync between devices.