Update Tags from Finder

First off, this is a great program, I was about to get Yoyimbo, but I don’t like the closed db, this way is so much better!

I have a tagging related feature request:

Is there a way to update the Spotlight data from the finder to EF after a record is created in EF?

Is there a way to automatically add newly found tags to the tag list?

What I want to do is the following:

I use tagging extensively in the finder with a combination of DefaultFolderX, TagBot, and Quicksilver. Now I have 100s of tags (e.g. journal, subject, keywords, Author…) and manually adding them into EFs tag window is a bit of a pain.

EF will, hopefully, become my URL storage, since I can Spotlight-search the tags in the library. My preferred way to do this would be to dump URLs into EF throughout the day and then go and clean-up by tagging them.

If I now take the URL in EF and drag it on my TagBot window, it neatly adds the tags to the physical files in the library, but they never get added to EF.

What I would need is kind of the opposite of ‘Backup Metadata’, which, btw, erases all tags added directly in the finder on files in the EagleLib.

There’s currently no way to update the tags in EagleFiler using the Spotlight comments, though this would certainly be possible via AppleScript.

It seems to me that there isn’t a good way to implement two-way syncing with the comments because EagleFiler wouldn’t know which direction to do the sync in.

Therefore, I think the best option is for you to assign the tags in EagleFiler. Perhaps you have suggestions for how this could be made easier. Did you know that you can assign tags without using the Tags window, simply by typing them in the bar at the bottom of EagleFiler’s browser window?

If you already have a bunch of files tagged in the Finder, you could select them and press the capture key, and this would import the files as well as their tags. Then the tags would appear in EagleFiler’s source list and you could drag files onto them to assign tags. It looks like this is what you were doing with TagBot.

I think the Applescript option would be fine. And I’d be happy with a manual sync Finder -> EF

I found the option of typing in the bottom bar just a few minutes ago :slight_smile:
One thing I just realised too: ‘New Tag’ has no keyboard shortcut?

How about importing tags from another file? TagBot keeps a .plist file with the tags. But I couldn’t yet find where EF keeps the tags…

Here’s a script that will set the comments of the selected records based on the Spotlight comments.

No. You can add one if you like using the Keyboard pane of System Preferences. I figured that it would be more common to add a tag and assign it at the same time. So you can, for example, type Command-Shift-T to give the Tags bar focus and then type your tag name.

Here’s a script to import the tags from TagBot.

I found the AppleScript section! Thanks :wink:

No. You can add one if you like using the Keyboard pane of System Preferences. I figured that it would be more common to add a tag and assign it at the same time. So you can, for example, type Command-Shift-T to give the Tags bar focus and then type your tag name.

That’s perfect!

Here’s a script to import the tags from TagBot.

Since I’m already a major pain, one more question…
Would it be possible to have an ‘Untagged’ folder? Or the possibility to make ones own smart folders?

Those are both planned.