C-Command Software Forum

Cannot create rtfd records

After taking a break today I discovered I could no longer create rtfd records. When I click for a new rtf record the item shows the following message:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1561\cocoasubrtf610
{\fonttbl}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
{\*\expandedcolortbl;;}
{\info
{\title }
{\subject name of page}}}

When I copy something into the record shows plain text, images/photos do not copy instead there is a link, the editing toolbar does not appear and when I open the record in Text Edit the page is blank.

I have no idea what happened nor how to correct it. Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Macbook pro 2017
Macos 10.13.6

Which version of EagleFiler are you using? Are you clicking the New RTF button on the toolbar or creating the file in some other way? I’m not sure how, but it looks like the file is being created in EagleFiler as plain text. You can see from the Info inspector (below the filename) what kind of file EagleFiler thinks it is. Does the filename shown end with .rtfd?

If you create a new rich text file in TextEdit, save it into EagleFiler’s Files folder, and Scan for New Files, does that show up as rich text?

Hello Michael,
I am using version 1.9.3 on a Macbook pro 2017 MacOs 10.13.6.

I use the New Rtf button to create a file, the same message as in my original post above. The inspector shows the file as rtf, with a [do not localize] label. I can manually change the file to rtfd, the inspector then sees it as rtfd with the same label but nothing about the text is different. When opened in TextEdit the page is blank (in both rtf and rtfd).

Thank you for your time and assistance.

In TextEdit the same file that I created with the New RTF appears as rtfd. I can see the item in the File folder, with a light blue button in the Tags column, inspector identifies it as rtfd yet the is an error message saying it cannot be saved to disc.

You should not try to rename it from .rtf to .rtfd because the formats are not the same. EagleFiler will automatically set the format based on whether there are attachments.

It sounds like there may be damage to the app or that EagleFiler is encountering some errors. The next time you get the saving error, could you send in a diagnostic report so that I can investigate this?

Hello Michael,

I am still unable to create rtfd documents with EagleFiler and am completely stumped.

This morning I experimented with creating the same document using EagleFiler rft and txt buttons and TextEdit rtf.

None of them would copy the images from the source. The EagleFiler rft document had the same code (?) as the first
example I sent otherwise the two EagleFiler documents looked like similar txt files. The TextEdit one appeared as a regular
rtfd. The editing toolbar only appeared in the TextEdit version. The EagleFiler rtf version was empty when I opened it with
TextEdit, the txt item was altered to a poorer quality appearance. When I looked at them all with inspector both the EagleFiler

versions had a [do not localize} tag then afterwards all title, from and file (except rtf and txt) information was gone. The

TextEdit version was labelled [None], nothing was altered after inspection.

Is there some way to run an examination of the program to generate a diagnostic report?

Would re-installing EagleFiler allow me get back to work? What are the appropriate steps to do that, I have been

using EagleFiler since February 2017, the original installer was lost when I moved to this machine. Is there an

uninstaller with the application? Will using it damage the documents in the EagleFiler library?

Thank you for all your time and assistance.

Harriet

I recommend that you install a fresh copy of EagleFiler as described here. If the problem still occurs, please save a diagnostic report as described here.

Hello Michael,

I followed your suggestion to install a fresh copy of EagleFiler, this did not solve my difficulty. The diagnostic report

is attached to this message. Hopefully it contains the information needed to fix my problem.

Thank you again for persisting with me and my challenge.

Harriet Cowan

EagleFilerDiagnosticReport.tbz (96.9 KB)

Thanks for sending the report. It looks like macOS is reporting a large number of I/O errors, for a variety of different things that EagleFiler is trying to do. I’m not sure what’s causing this, but typically this error indicates a serious problem with the hard drive/SSD. It’s possible that restarting the Mac would help. Otherwise, I would suggest making a backup or two and possibly erasing/restoring the Mac.

Hello Michael,

Thank again for your patience and suggestions.

Earlier today I ran disk first aid and restarted my Macbook, afterwards EagleFiler worked normally, allowing me to save documents in my normal practice.

1 Like