Capital Letters in Emails Deleted From Inbox

When I receive an email with my name in capital letters (SCOTT@.net vs. scott@.net), the email is immediately deleted.

• I have no server rules.
  • The only Mac client side mail rule I have in place is SpamSieve.
  • These mails aren’t going to Spam, they are being deleted.
  • According to my email hosting support folks, the email is being deleted via IMAP from my Mac.

I realize this isn’t what SpamSieve does (deleting vs. sending to Spam), but I’m running out of other things that could be the culprit.

Is anyone else seeing this problem?

You might be running into this Apple Mail bug where Mail sometimes deletes messages instead of moving them. You can work around that by following the instructions at the bottom of this page to make sure that Mail is set to store all the Junk mailboxes on the server and to move the spam messages to the special All Junk mailbox.

Wow, thanks so much for this!! Making the suggested configuration changes worked. All of my test emails aren’t immediately deleted any longer! I’ve been beating my head against the wall looking for the culprit. Your quick note made my day. FYI, I’ve been using your software for over a decade (SpamSieve, EagleFiler, and ToothFairy) and it’s rock solid. Thanks for all you do!

1 Like

That’s great, thanks! Could you tell me which version of macOS you’re using? Just trying to keep track of where people are seeing this bug.

Using Mac OS Ventura - 13.4 (22F66).

1 Like