DAM (Digital Asset Management) Best Practices?

Hi,

I’ve been using EF for years, but mostly as a one-trick pony for managing email archives. Lately, though, I’ve been wondering if it might serve as a simple DAM for my home-based freelance design and web design business.

I’ve purchased a lot of design assets over the years: more than I can reasonably keep track of in a single folder (or my aging brain). I have been using Bridge or just the default Finder tools to date, but was wondering if this is something EF can help with.

Has anybody used EF for this? If so, I’d appreciate your thoughts: pros, cons, and your recommendations on how to set it up.

Thanks in advance and happy 2021!

I personally use EagleFiler to organize stock icons and other assets that I’ve purchased. I have them arranged in folders based on how they were bought, with smart folders to find different types of files and tags to keep track of which projects I’ve used (or considered using) them in.

I have another library to checksum my “finished” Lightroom photos.

Would be interested to know what others are doing and if there are any additional features that would help for this type of use.

The single most important feature would be more options for displaying images. Right now EF can only display a list of items in a library. Some sort of card view would be necessary, preferably with lots of options for customisation.

Take a look at the (interestingly named) Eagle: https://eagle.cool

I use Raindrop (http://raindrop.io) for bookmarks, organising images, and as a read later service. All the rest goes to EF. I would love to be able to do everything in one app, but so far I haven’t found one that does it all.

1 Like

Noted, thanks. That’s on my to-do list. In the meantime, you can get a limited grid view by selecting a bunch of records, choosing Quick Look, and then clicking this button:Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 1.02.57 PM

That’s an interesting option! I never noticed that button, thanks for pointing it out.

Two further things on card/grid view (I used the term card view because I like how this works in Airtable, where you can display an image and specify which fields should be shown underneath):

1. It should be possible to choose a different view setting for each folder and subfolder.

2. In list views, you can specify which columns are shown. Something similar should be possible in grid views, so that you can choose which specific metadata is visible. In a folder full of images, you would want to see image dimensions in px and file format. In a folder full of audio or video files, duration is probably relevant. Some people use tags, other don’t. Ideally, you should be able to specify exactly what you need on a per folder basis (or based on the file type, maybe?)

Having more display option would make EF even more useful than it already is. Much more useful for me, certainly.

2 Likes