Find text in images?

Hello. I imported a png file into EagleFiler and EF does not appear able to search my library and find the png file based on text in the image. If viewing the png in EF, I also cannot select the text in the image like I can in Preview. Release notes suggest Live Text support, but it does not appear to be working for me. Are these limitations of EF? Bugs?

The current Live Text support applies to selecting text in PDF files. The other features that you mention are on the to-do list.

1 Like

I’m very pleased to hear it’s on the roadmap, especially given that Apple now provide APIs for doing OCR on images (Recognizing Text in Images | Apple Developer Documentation). I’m trying to leave Evernote and the OCR on JPEGs is the major feature that I’m finding is missing on most competitors. I was very pleased to see that EagleFiler imports the recoData fields from ENEX files since that helps a lot in the migration (so far it’s the only tool I’ve found that will import the recoData).

Forcing my scanner to use OCR on PDFs really slows down my process (I scan lots of receipts in batches). I’ve ended up pointing Screenie 2 at my EagleFiler Files directory to provide me with image search but that seems less than ideal (but at least it’s possible with the way that EagleFiler writes out files in standard form)

1 Like