How to Search and find results in the files?

I’ve imported all of my email into EagleFiler and I’m trying to search it. I enter a search term “pretzel” and it instantly finds all emails with “pretzel” somewhere in them. Great. However, I want to click on a specific email and go to the point in the message where “pretzel” appears.

According to the manual, EF is supposed to automatically highlight “pretzel” if I click to view the message. However it is not. I go to pretzel, there’s no highlight. Also if I go to Edit - Find, everything is greyed out except Library Search. According to the manual I’m supposed to see Find Next and Find Previous. Or some kind of “Find Panel”.

What am I doing wrong?

It sounds like you have View ‣ Message ‣ Use Quick Look selected. macOS’s Quick Look view doesn’t support the features that you mentioned. If you instead select the Rich Text or Plain Text viewer, you should be able to see search highlights and use the Find panel.

Yeah, I do have Quick Look selected. Otherwise the emails I’m searching (HTML table-based order invoices) are nearly impossible to read in Rich Text mode because it gets squashed into 1 letter per line. Like this:

P
r
e
t
z
e
l
b
u
t
t
e
r

Is there no way to do Search and have the emails be readable?

The Rich Text mode works for all the e-mails I’ve seen. Would it be possible for you to export a few of the problem ones and send them to me so that I can make sure EagleFiler’s viewer handles them properly?

Sent to your email. Thanks!

Thanks! I can reproduce the problem here, although I’m seeing it wrap after 3–4 letters rather than 1. As far as I can tell, this is caused by a bug in macOS’s HTML-to-RTF converter, where it’s creating nested table cells with unnecessarily small widths, and that’s causing the text to wrap. Unfortunately, I don’t have a good general solution for this at present. I’m in the process of rewriting EagleFiler’s Rich Text view to use WebKit directly rather than RTF. That should fix the display and also work with search highlighting and the Find panel.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I can work around it in the meantime.

1 Like

I found another totally different email that looks fine in Quick Look but has overlapping text in Rich Text mode. Do you want me to send it to you?

Yes, please. I can add it to the test suite.