In Apple Mail, does copying an IMAP mailbox to On My Mac fully download all messages in all submailboxes?

Related but distinct from In Apple Mail, does dragging an IMAP mailbox to On My Mac require Option to fully download messages?:

The EagleFiler manual/help says the following, under Importing Mail from Apple Mail > Missing Messages and Attachments:

When importing from Apple Mail, EagleFiler may report a Missing Apple Mail Messages or Missing Apple Mail Attachment error. This indicates that the message had not been fully downloaded to your Mac. You should tell Mail to download the messages and then try the import again. There are several ways to do this:

• […]
  • For very large numbers of messages, the [Download Apple Mail Messages] script can take a while. A faster option is to Option-drag and drop the entire mailbox to the On My Mac section of Mail’s mailbox list. This will create a local copy of the mailbox with all the messages fully downloaded.

Does copying an IMAP mailbox to On My Mac also cause Mail to download all messages in all submailboxes?

Yes. (It will take a while with no progress shown.)

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve noticed by now that Mail stays pretty quiet during some operations.

Thank you!