Intego VirusBarrier and SpamSieve

A recent version of Intego VirusBarrier incorrectly reports that the MJTApplication framework in SpamSieve contains the OSX/AMC.fs malware. Intego agrees that this is a false positive, and updating to the latest VirusBarrier definitions should fix the problem.

If you do see the malware alert in VirusBarrier, you can click the Trust button to tell it that it made a mistake, and then it won’t do anything.

If you have already clicked the Quarantine or Repair button, VirusBarrier will have deleted part of SpamSieve. This will make it crash at launch. You can fix that by installing a fresh copy of the SpamSieve application. (You don’t have to repeat the rest of the setup instructions.)

Interesting… I went to Intego and couldn’t find any mention of anything about SpamSieve or MJTApplication. But ok. Who knows… Then I went to NetUpdate and it found what APPEARED to be three updates needed, two for applications but the third for “VirusBarrier Malware Definitions” and it showed version 10/29/20. I say “appeared” because the box next to the two apps was checked by default as if to say, yes, let’s update those but the box next to the Malware Definitions was not checked and was grayed out. And after doing the update, sure enough, those Malware Definitions are still sitting at version 10/29/20…

But, I did go to the effort before I launched NetUpdate to got to the MJTApplicaion file itself way down inside SpamSieve.app, right clicked on it, asked VirusBarrier to scan it and as before it said it found “unknown Malware”. Then, after doing the NetUpdates that gave the impression of having left the Malware Definitions as they were at 10/29/20, I then went to the same MJTApplication file, scanned it again, and NOW it said it was OK… Interesting…

I know I’m talking here more about Intego and Virus Barrier than about SpamSieve but I’m really just reporting what I see… So maybe Intego UPDATES or FIXES a set of Malware Definitions without actually causing a new update, like to a new 11/1/20 version??? Maybe…

OK, so now back to SpamSieve, yes I did ask VirusBarrier to Quarantine the MJTApplication and even though the file itself still sits at its original path within the SpamSieve application, clearly VirusBarrier has disabled it because SpamSieve won’t launch and I get a SpamSieve error now and then like I mentioned in my original post. I keep all dmg’s of software and I do have “SpamSieve-2.9.40.dmg”… Or maybe I really will go get a fresh version from your site. But what do I do with the MJTApplication file in Quarantine on Virus Barrier??? Should I first ask to delete it or what??? Before reinstalling SpamSieve?? As I said, I have never before had an alert for a virus before so don’t know what to do now with something in Quarantine???

Appreciate the help…

And yes, as I now look at “recent updates” after doing an Intego update 30 minutes ago, I see that it updated TODAY (11/1) the “Intego Common Components” to version 10.9.19 and Virus Barrier (the app itself) to 10.9.32 but then it lists the last update to the Malware Definitions was to version “10/29/20” on Friday, October 30 at 3:38 PM… So it supposedly didn’t mess with the Malware Definitions when I updated 30 minutes ago but something certainly changed as just before I did that, VirusBarrier continued to report a problem with MJTApplication but right after, all was reported as good again… Just reporting…

But still same question. What should I do with MJTApplication in the VirusBarrier Quarantine section before reinstalling a new copy of SpamSieve???

One final point, I do see now in the upper right corner of Virus Barrier that it is running on a Virus Definition file called “10/29/20-2”… I didn’t look at that before but that “-2” is certainly a clue it would seem…

Can you tell it to Trust that file?

The three options I see are Trust, Delete, Repair… Haven’t clicked on any of them but they all look to be Active, meaning not grayed out or anything… So are you recommending Trust???

But then I would still need to reinstall SpamSieve, right??? Because I did originally ask VirusBarrier to Quarantine the file???

What about Delete if I’m going to reinstall SpamSieve anyway??? Or might that cause some issues???

I recommend Trust, as hopefully that will fix any file permissions that it changed.

Michael, I did that, used Trust. Then I did a full scan and all was good as expected… I then reinstalled SpamSieve whether I needed to or not… All appears to be ok again.

One other point that is a much older question of mine. Is SpamSieve supposed to quit when Apple Mail quits??? Seems like yes… Mine never does and hasn’t for as long as I remember… Just tossing that in here but maybe it belongs in a separate post??? Should it quit with Apple Mail or not??? If so, what do I have set wrong??? thanks…

There is a setting for that. Please start a new topic if you have further questions about this.