Leaving Exchange a/c emails in InboxSpamSieve folder

My set up is:
Macbook Pro 2019, Intel processor
Sonoma 14.5
Outlook 16.85.2 (24052614), using legacy version
SpamSieve 3.0.4, usine the large inbox setup, i.e. “Enable spam filtering for InboxSpamSieve” is checked
One Exchange a/c, two IMAP a/cs

All works fine except that some, but not all, of the Exchange a/c emails moved to InboxSpamSieve stay there, i.e. they aren’t moved to Inbox or Junk. When I click on the InboxSpamSieve folder in the Exchange a/c, they are moved without any further intervention from me. This behaviour is not evident on the IMAP a/cs.

Clicking on the folder in Outlook does not trigger SpamSieve to do anything. So it sounds like maybe the messages are being moved and Outlook simply isn’t updating the display until later. You can see in SpamSieve’s Log window when it processed each of those messages.

There are Errors reported in the log for the messages which stayed in the InboxSpamSieve. This is repeated for each message a few times. The example below is what it says for all of the errors:

Summary:	SpamSieve checked the InboxSpamSieve folder for new messages to filter.
Error Code:	-2,700
Log Entry:	Error filtering InboxSpamSieve message (RE: Us data): Outlook could not get the source of message: RE: Us data
Date Logged:	Today at 16:19:51

SpamSieve:	3.0.4 at /Applications/SpamSieve.app
Device:	macOS 14.5.0 (23F79) on guys-mbp-16.local (MacBookPro16,1)
User:	Guy (Guy)
Language:	English

It’s unclear why Outlook is reporting an error when SpamSieve tries to read the message source. (The -2,700 error code means “Signaled by user scripts or applications when no actual error code is to be returned.”)

Is there eventually a Predicted log entry for the message? Otherwise, SpamSieve would leave the message in InboxSpamSieve, so I don’t know why it would be disappearing when you click on the folder.

Yes there is a Predicted good entry ten minutes later, which I think was when I clicked on the InboxSpamSieve folder, because I think that’s when I saw it move to the Inbox.

The SpamSieve log entry for that is:

Summary:	SpamSieve classified this message as Good because its sender was in your Outlook contacts.
Score:	0 (0 is least spammy; 100 is most spammy)
Accuracy:	Correct (if this message is not Good, you should train it as Spam)
Help:	Correct All the Mistakes
Date Logged:	Today at 16:30:48

Subject:	RE: Us data
Date Sent:	Today at 15:01:29
Date Received:	Today at 15:01:33
To:	guy.leech@ccmaproperties.co.uk
Size:	65 KB (32 KB compressed)
Identifier:	hWUZgLun6BCOfK5Jzlg97A==
Server Filter:	There is no record of a server junk filter evaluating this message. Some mail servers don’t have junk filters, and some filters move messages to a different mailbox without noting in the message that they did this.
Origin:	CCMA (Exchange) ‣ InboxSpamSieve in Microsoft Outlook 16.85.2 (schedule)

Contacts:	3,505
Excluded Contacts:	0
Outlook Contacts:	4,073

Processing Time:	0.010s
SpamSieve:	3.0.4 at /Applications/SpamSieve.app
Device:	macOS 14.5.0 (23F79) on guys-mbp-16.local (MacBookPro16,1)
User:	Guy (Guy)
Language:	English

Another fact which may be relevant is that for a few weeks, Outlook has periodically slowed up and is shown in Activity Monitor as using 100% or more of the CPU. There may be too many messages in the Inbox - c 23,000 which is about 2 years’ of messages - so perhaps the Outlook hang is delaying the SpamSieve action by preventing it from getting the source of the message? I should move some of the older messages to the Archive or to an OLM, but being able to search older messages in Outlook is sometimes useful.

Although why would that affect the Exchange a/c but not the IMAP ones? I have far more spam messages to one of my IMAP a/cs that to the Exchange a/c, currently about 70 per day to the IMAP one, mainly US investment tip sites!

Hmm, I wonder if somehow clicking on the mailbox got Outlook to finish downloading the message, and then it stopped reporting the error to SpamSieve.

I recommend recording a sample of Outlook when this happens.

A post was split to a new topic: Uninstalling