Mail hangups on Script Method

Hi All -
I’m having a horrible time getting SpamSieve to work. For the last year or so, it seems to work about 50% of the time, and then stop working for a while. Then it comes back without me really doing anything (as far as I can tell).
Trying to tackle this, I think I’m subject to the “in some rare cases” bug that prevents Apple Mail from moving the message.

• Rules are being applied to incoming messages.
  • Messages are moving to the Spam folder, but also staying in my inbox. (most of the time - there seems to be some inconsistency to this that I can’t put my finger on).

I would love to solve that issue, but in an effort to solve it myself, I switch to the “script method” - and that works!
But it forces mail to completely lock up about every 30 seconds, for about 15 seconds. I read that the script method would be slower, but I can’t get much done like this.

I should mention I have a lot of email accounts coming in to Mac Mail, and triple-checked that everything is set up right (but not afraid to admit if I missed something), and I’ve re-installed the whole system (rule and app) several times.

Is there anything that can be done? I’ve been using SpamSieve for years, but I just can’t get it to work reliably for the last year. Is there any hope?

thanks -
j.

1 Like

The #4 workaround of having the rule move the messages to a Spam mailbox on the same server is faster than the script workaround (#5) and, as far as I can recall, works for 100% of the customers I’ve heard from. If there are multiple accounts where Mail is having trouble moving the messages, you may need to create per-account Spam mailboxes and rules for those accounts. That way, you would avoid the bug by having the messages stay within the same account.

Thanks Michael - I didn’t try that one because I have a lot of accounts, and I’m in the habit of scanning through my spam every day. So having one big spam folder is ideal.
But perhaps I can setup a Smart Mailbox to combine all the spam folders into one, and do the server method.
I’ll give it a try - thanks!
j.

Yes, you could set up a smart mailbox, or if you use the special Junk mailbox for each account, Mail has a built-in feature to show all of their contents as a combined Junk mailbox.