Mail not showing up in my Apple Mail folders (?)

I am running OS X 11.1, Apple Mail and SpamSieve 2.9.22. I have installed the three work arounds for Apple Mail performance (on training spam, on training good, and to not train the Apple Mail junk filter).

I use IMAP but have SpamSieve move spam to a local folder on my desk machine.

Since last Tuesday my mail has not been showing up in my desk machine folders. Some spam is moved to the local folder, some is not. I was traveling and apparently all my mail showed up in my IMAP folders (viewed via Apple Mail on iOS), but I could see that mail was not being moved.

Since I have been home I have restarted my desk machine and restarted Apple Mail, etc. Since Apple Mail hung while training some good mail in the spam folder, I looked on the support pages and installed the work arounds. However I just tried to train a message in the spam folder as good. After having me enable GUI scripting for SpamSieve, Apple Mail hung (spinning rainbow pizza). This requires force quit and restart of Apple Mail.

I do not have any good ideas about how to fix the mail sorting problem. Apple Mail and SpamSieve do not hang if I don’t train messages, but most mail never shows up in any of my desk machine folders. The SpamSieve badge sometimes shows a lot of mail processed (e.g. 94) but the mail does not show up. At one point I used “Apply Rules” to try to move a (good) message from my inbox to the folder that it should have gone to, but nothing happened. Just now after force quitting and restarting Apple Mail, SpamSieve again showed a badge of “94” but only about five messages showed up in my folders.

I am stumped about what to do next.

–Jed

I think the first step would be to get your mail to show up. This part is not related to SpamSieve. Normally when this happens it helps to rebuild Mail’s database.

Did you add your inbox to the Favorites bar in Mail? If not, the training command will not use GUI scripting and will fall back on the Mail AppleScript command that is slow. This page describes how you can record a “sample” from Mail to see why it is hanging.

Normally when this happens it helps to rebuild Mail’s database.

This helped, though I didn’t rebuild exactly that way. Redownloading my messages took a long time and the reporting wasn’t all that good, so I was worried. Now things are working OK.

Did you add your inbox to the Favorites bar in Mail? If not, the training command will not use GUI scripting and will fall back on the Mail AppleScript command that is slow. This page describes how you can record a “sample” from Mail to see why it is hanging.

I had added my Inbox, but later was also told to add my Spam mailbox to the favorites (by an error message, I think when I trained a message). That was easy and did the job. So you might want to mention that as well.

Thanks for the help!