I’ve been using SpamSieve for a while and it’s functioned perfectly until the macOS update to Catalina (which I do not blame on SpamSieve…).
I updated to version 2.9.38, but I’m still seeing messages automatically marked as spam disappearing completely—I can see them in the log, but they do not appear in my spam folder. I also don’t have any disabled accounts.
Also, I have this machine set up as an Apple Mail drone, and interestingly the remote training still seems to work: if I put an email in the “TrainGood” or “TrainSpam” folders and run the Apple script, the messages are correctly moved to the right place.
Thanks for your time!