Migration issue / permissions / registration

Hi Michael, I am migrating my programs to my new iMac and just downloaded the latest EF and entered my license information. Everything now works fine in my admin account, the account whose App folder I dragged the app into. However, when I try to launch the program from my non-admin account (i.e. the one I intend to use on a daily basis) it asks me to register again!..

I’m presuming this shouldn’t be? I have no problem with doing this again of course, but I’d prefer to do it so that everything is working as it should, permission-wise. Please let me know what I have done wrong/what I can do to fix it?

Many thanks,
Josh

That’s the expected behavior, and pretty normal for a Mac application, since it’s standard practice to store registration information and preferences in the user’s home folder. I don’t think it has anything to do with permissions.

Really? But I thought a license was per computer, not per user?.. I likewise just installed Final Draft, which has but two licenses for the program, on the new computer – and that program is able to launch in both the admin account where I installed it, as well as my non-admin account. Why should EF behave differently?

I of course have no problem simply entering the registration info again in my non-admin account (how many licenses do I have with the program, btw?) but am just curious as to why this is working differently with different programs.

Many thanks again,
Josh

It is, but all the data is stored per-user, so that you can have your own preferences, etc.

If your serial number begins with “eaglex1001” you have one, “eaglex1002” you have two, etc.

Each program implements its own licensing scheme, and there are various ways to do it. I think the EagleFiler way is the most common, but some applications install per-computer, some ask what you want to do, etc.

Okay, I re-entered the serial info in my non-admin account and now it launches fine from there as well. But now my only question is…I wasn’t able to figure out how to “unregister” my admin account, or the version that is running on my old computer. (Which is getting erased soon anyway once my migration to my new computer is complete.)

I just want to make sure I am not violating any licensing agreement, because my serial # is only “eaglex1001” – I am happy to de-authorize those other two accounts if you tell me how…

Thanks so much as always for all your help,
Josh

It’s not necessary to de-authorize your other accounts/Macs, but if you want to you can go into the Purchase window, delete your name and serial number, and click Personalize.