Nothing happens when training certain messages as spam

I just updated Spamsieve a few minutes ago. v 2.9.52.

I am having this problem.

Could you please explain in more detail what is happening? Which mail program and version of macOS are you using? Which mailbox are the messages in when you train them? Does anything happen—i.e. do they change color or does Mail freeze?

Latest Apple Mail Version 16.0 (3731.400.51.1.1)

Latest MacOS 13.2.1 on a M1 MacBook Air.

Latest SpamSieve.

It occurs sporadically (the best sort of bug, right?). When it happens, Mail acts like nothing happens when I choose “Train as Spam”. The email doesn’t move, doesn’t change colour, nothing.

Then I think you just be seeing a different issue, because Apple fixed the bug the original poster ran into back in macOS 11.x or 12.x.

When the problem occurs, does it then become consistent, i.e. training that same message again continues to do nothing? Or does it tend to work the second time?

It seems to be per-message, but I’ll need to pay some closer attention.

I was prompted to raise the issue with a particular message. Right after I posted it, another message was handled just fine.

I’ll try to find more specifics about the behaviour. You might leave this open while I’m doing that.

OK, I have moved this to a new topic. It may help (for messages received in the future) for you to go to Mail ‣ Settings ‣ Accounts ‣ Account Information and set Download Attachments to All for each account.

I don’t think I should have to do that.

Running Console while trying to train a couple of recalcitrant emails, I get:

Mail[69128] Unable to quarantine: 1

Well, I am trying to narrow down where the problem might be. The Download Attachments setting is relevant because there is a bug in macOS 13 with downloading messages on demand.

Do you get the quarantine error when successfully training messages?

You can click this link to enable some SpamSieve debug logging. Then when you try to train messages there should be some extra log messages (search for MJTLog) that show the steps as the training proceeds.

Happened repeatedly tonight. The only thing printed to a log is:

2023/03/19 01:00:16:764 DHAlfredWorkflow: rebuild cancelled - doesntHaveAlfredWorkflow

Are you training using the Message menu or the keyboard shortcut?

Please make sure that you have restarted SpamSieve after enabling debug logging and that you have started the search in Console for MJTLog before you try the training.

Are you training using the Message menu or the keyboard shortcut?

I’ve tried both.

Please make sure that you have restarted SpamSieve after enabling debug logging and that you have started the search in Console for MJTLog before you try the training.

I noted that training a spam message as good doesn’t move a message back to the Inbox. Most obvious relevant log entry:

SpamSieve Apple Mail Plug-In [Train as Good] MJTLog Set to mark as unread: true

If there is a setting for this, I can’t find it (why you’d want to leave a good message in the spam box is… hard to imagine).

This may well not be related to the original issue, but I’d sure like to fix it.

As to the original issue, are you saying that when “nothing happens” you do get this log entry (but only this one)? Or that you don’t get a log entry at all?

The default is to move the messages back to the inbox, but there is a setting. Some people really don’t like to have their messages moved or want more control over where they go. Also, some versions of Mail have had a bug that can delete messages when asked to move them, so it’s important to be able to train SpamSieve without triggering that.

It is confusing that there is Settings in the SpamSieve app and different setting for SpamSieve in Mail.app. I had previously looked for the setting in SS following your instructions.

Having read this more closely, I went through the settings thing in Mail. Immediately previous to this, Train as Good was locking up Mail requiring a force kill and restart. Now it works.

Yes, this will be unified in a future version of SpamSieve.

If this happens again, please see the workaround under “Hang When Training” on this page.