OS Update to Ventura (13.2.1) Mail hangs disabled Spamsieve

Today I updated to a new M2 mac mini with Ventura 13.2.1 from an 2012 or so intel Macbook Air running Catalina. I did it using Migration Assistant and mounting a Carbon Copy Cloner clone disk I made of my source machine. Migration Assistant completed and Mail supposedly did its “conversion” or whatever it told me when I launched it. Mail appeared to be ok except that it would spin out of control and become unresponsive sometimes within a few seconds, other times after a minute or two, but always. The Activity window would show it checking mail when it first launched but nothing else (not Indexing or anything like that).

All my mail (I have A LOT of mail from many many years) appeared to be there, of course I don’t know that for sure, but sometime was causing Mail.app to use tons of memory and cpu cycles. I disabled Spamsieve and it calmed down. I left it for a while to do some other things and when I came back later in Activity monitor it was using only 10% cpu or less and 200MB of memory. All good. So I re-enabled Spamsieve. Activity monitor showed Mail using 250% cpu and 600+ MB of memory and climbing. I didn’t let it run all that long and then disabled Spamsieve again. Are there any known issues with Ventura mail, the migration or M2 Macs? Is there anything I should do or check before enabling Spamsieve again?
-Tom

Have you tried launching and interacting with SpamSieve itself? The one known issue is that if you have a very old SpamSieve license you will need to install Rosetta for SpamSieve to verify the license on an Apple Silicon Mac. Otherwise, SpamSieve will hang at launch because macOS is supposed to offer to auto-install Rosetta but doesn’t.

Yes, I had that problem initially and found the thread in this forum about enabling Rosetta and then turning it off. I did all that, and Spamsieve is running fine, as far as I can tell except that it appear to make Mail.app spin out of control. I will re-enable Spamsieve tomorrow morning and see what happens.
Thanks,
-Tom

I don’t think I’ve see anything related to SpamSieve where Mail uses lots of memory and CPU cycles. Recording a sample of Mail may provide some clues about what’s going on.

I re-enabled Spamsieve this morning and Mail seem perfectly happy now. If it occurs again I’ll know to gather some data.

I am wondering if it happened because Spamsieve was enabled during the initial launch of Mail when it was re-importing all my mail? That hung (several times) as I now have mailboxes called Import, Import-2, -3, -4, -5, and -6. These mailboxes have 10s of thousands (60+) of messages in them.
-Tom

I don’t think so because SpamSieve doesn’t do anything during Mail import, and we’ve not heard of any other problems related to that.

Glad to hear that Mail is working better now.

Michael,
I realized that I did capture a sample of Mail when I forced quit it during one of its fits of rage. I put the file here: http://bgp.nu/~tom/pub/mailsample.txt

-Tom

Thanks. It looks like neither SpamSieve nor Mail is dong anything interesting at the time of that sample.

Well, Mail was certainly not doing anything interesting :grinning: because it was hung for a long time and I did a Force Quit to produce that sample.

I mean it doesn’t look like it was hung, either. It seemed to be doing a variety of things, none of which was blocked or seemed to be allocating a lot of memory. Anyway, please let me know if this happens again.