pc version? (pie in the sky)

This is surely too much to hope for, but, Michael, any chance you’ve thought of creating a PC counterpart to Eaglefiler, for cross-OS syncing?

Other companies and entities are moving into that space–see Mendeley, for example, which is aimed at academic researchers (or, in a different approach, the non-profit Zotero). Eaglefiler is a much better product than those–people are raving about features in Mendeley that EF users take for granted, and Eaglefiler does much more, and much more elegantly (except for the bibliography stuff, which I don’t care about as a non-professor).

For those of us whose jobs (or budgets) keep us using at least one Windows machine, a cross-platform Eaglefiler would be a dream.

I wouldn’t completely rule it out, but it’s not on the roadmap at this point. However, since EagleFiler’s library is open, you could use a sync utility such as Dropbox to make the files accessible on the PC. You can’t run EagleFiler there, but you can freely view, search, and edit the files (most of which are stored in cross-platform formats).

I use Dropbox but had been leery of syncing the files in Eaglefiler. In Mac-PC cases, would you just move the files that EF references into your Dropbox folder (moving them using the Finder)?

I was imagining a much more complicated system where you’d have to create duplicates of the files, put them in dropbox, and then re-import them to Eaglefiler once you got back to the Mac.

(PS It was this stricture I had in mind: “You should not … move, rename, or delete files inside the Files or Notes folders.”)

Yes, you can just move the entire library folder into the Dropbox folder. Then the computers will, in effect, be sharing all of those files. They’ll also be accessible via the Web.

That still holds, so you shouldn’t do any of those things on the PC. However, you can view the files and edit their contents. And you can also save new files into the To Import folder.

Sweet. That’s much easier than I imagined. And far better than switching to an inferior cross-platform product.