Phishing Emails with Legitimate From and Reply To Address: Good Idea to Train as Spam?

Phishing emails have started using legitimate ‘From:’ and ‘Reply To:’ addresses in an attempt to bypass SPAM filtering and enhance the illusion of legitimacy. Meanwhile, the body of the email contains one or more payload links to a SPAM/malware/phishing webpage.

In this case, a Best Buy phishing email made it to my inbox using “info@bestbuy.com” as the From address, “noreply@bestbuy.com” as the Reply To address and emailmongo[dot]com/… as the “OPEN NOW” link.

I’ve already forwarded this to abuse@bestbuy.com. I also read a previous response on this type of issue “Email supposedly from my bank-train?” which suggests training the spam email as spam and a legitimate one as good. In this case, it sounds like SpamSieve will put info@bestbuy.com and noreply@bestbuy.com on the block list but also learn that not all email with those addresses are spam.

Followup questions: Is SpamSieve aware of links in the body of emails and do those get added to it’s filtering rules? For example, will the domain emailmongo[dot]com get flagged as spam? Also, will the root domain get blocked or only the full URL containing the long string of random alphanumeric characters get blocked?

Last question: Would it be better to just create an Outlook rule that marks any email containing emailmongo[dot]com in the body as spam?

1 Like

Yes, they will end up as present but disabled on both the whitelist and blocklist.

Yes.

The domain will become a factor used in classifying future messages, but it will not automatically be added to the blocklist.

I generally recommend handling all the spam-related stuff within SpamSieve. If you are sure that you always want to block messages with that text in the body, you could add your own rule to SpamSieve’s blocklist.

1 Like

Okay, thanks for the clarifications. Since the entire emailmongo domain got an extremely poor trust rating on scam-detector.com, I decided it would be cleaner to create a rule to block any email that contains emailmongo[.]com (without the brackets of course) in the body.