PreSale - GermanUser

Hello everybody,
my english is not so good and i can only use it with the help of a translator in english.
Is it possible to ask my questions in German and to get the answer in German? Or is this not allowed in this forum?

You are welcome to post in German on the forum, but I don’t know whether you will get an answer from a native speaker. I could try to help you via Google Translate.

I would like to archive my e-mails including attachments from Apple Mail.
Currently because of re-setting up the MacOS and in the future to slim mail.
For this I have after several tests ultimately the software EagleFiler (#EF) favored and installed as a trial version.

Preferences from Mail:

• Retrieve ~ 20 mail accounts via POP3
  • Local folders (~ 250) for sorting - no Smart Folders or Mailboxes
  • Mails from the past 12 years = 150T

For selection / preparation for export via #EF, I have created an intelligent mailbox per year.
This would allow me to send all mails, e.g. delete from 2010 after archiving in #EF at once.

The first archiving run for 2010 was positive as expected.
I marked all mails in the intelligent folder, then (fn + F1) for the export and the mails were stored incl. Folder structure in #EF.
Perfect, but …
When I started the same year next year in 2011, #EF put the whole folder in duplicate, with the suffix “-1”.
e.g. at 2010 = “Private” and for 2011 “Private-1”

I’m definitely doing something wrong, but I’m not behind it.

As a 2nd test, I tried to import the entire V7 folder from the library into #EF.
This works obviously, but then the folders are not created from Mail - but the cryptic folder structure from the Finder.
Maybe I also misinterpreted the manual on page 48, but I do not want to have such a structure as in the Mail Vx folder.

How do I set #EF or which way is the most optimal way to archive all mails per year from the smart folder.

Also, I did not understand that with the scripting, because my expertise is not comprehensive enough.
I would like to ask later, as long as the manual export works,
In the hope that Google Translation has translated the reasonably understandable, I look forward to solutions and thank you for it already.

Greats Espe

That is how it’s intended to work; each import creates a new mailbox or folder of mailboxes.

What do you want the mailboxes to look like in EagleFiler?

If you want separate folders per year, I think this will work. You can just rename “Private-1” to “Private 2011”.

If you want 2010 and 2011 to be combined, you can import them all at once or merge the mailboxes later.

1 Like

That’s exactly the problem, which I could not solve.
I do not understand why every import creates a NEW folder / mailbox.
Basically, the data come from the “same” folder / mailbox, so why can not they land in the “same” mailbox?

You write:*

If you want separate folders per year, I think this will work. You can easily rename “Private-1” to "Private 2011

No, I DO NOT want to have a NEW folder every year.
Manually renaming over 250 local folders is too time consuming.

You write

If you want to combine 2010 and 2011, you can import them all at once or merge the mailboxes later

Yes, I want all emails, e.g. from the folder / mailbox “Private” also within #EF in “Private” land. No matter what import vs. in my case, annual filing.
Manually merging into over 250 local folders is too much work for me, that should / should go automatically.

greetings Espe

That’s just the way it’s designed to work currently. All imports (not just mail) create a new file. Working another way would mean EagleFiler would have to guess your intent, and it might not do what you expect. For example, some people want each year to be in a different mailbox. Or you could be importing another mailbox with the same name that isn’t actually related to the one that you had previously imported.

Perhaps a future version of EagleFiler could help with that:

• Would you want to be able to select the two folders, Private and Private-1, and tell EagleFiler to merge the whole hierarchy (instead of selecting the mailboxes individually)?
  • Would you want EagleFiler to assume that if a new mailbox as the same name as an existing one, they should be automatically merged when importing?