Problem with installation of today's (10 Mar 23) SpamSieve update for Apple Mail

After quitting Mail and installing today’s SpamSieve update I could not reopen mail (a forever spinning beach ball) — had to force quit both Mail and SpamSieve. Both were labelled as “not responding”. This sequence happened several times. When I went to the Applications folder there was today’s new version of SpamSieve and a SpamSieve alias. The alias was dowloaded about 2 hours after the application. All I had done was click the prompts in the dialog boxes SpamSieve displayed. When I trashed the alias everything worked fine. SpamSieve update says I now have the latest version of the software. Thought you should know.

Thanks for letting us know. SpamSieve’s updater hasn’t changed in the last few versions, so I’m not sure what could have caused this. Did the updater prompt for your password? Did you get as far in the SpamSieve launch where it said that it had updated the Mail plug-in?

In the future, if an app is not responding it’s a good idea to record a sample to determine the reason for the hang.

What you are saying about the alias doesn’t make any sense me. The SpamSieve updater doesn’t create aliases, and if it’s dated 2 hours later that also sounds unrelated to the updater. Also, I don’t see how having an extra alias file would cause any problems, so trashing it and relaunching SpamSieve is probably equivalent to just relaunching SpamSieve.

One thing that’s new in Ventura is that macOS verifies each app at launch (plus, I think, other code being loaded), even if it was downloaded by an updater (rather than manually by the user). I wonder whether somehow this check was really slow the first time when Mail was loading the plug-in and SpamSieve got stuck waiting for Mail to finish launching.

I’m glad hear that it’s working now, though.

Attachments available until Apr 10, 2023

The alias’ date modified says “Yesterday at 7:33 PM”. That is about when I clicked in the dialog box to update. The Application’s date modified says “Yesterday at 5:42 AM”. So it was actually 14 hours between them, not 2. I was not at my computer at 5:42 AM but it was turned on. I have automatic updates turned on in SpamSieve. There are no other SpamSieve files on my computer I can find unless there are some invisible files. I reported the crash data to Apple; I don’t know if you have access to those records. Something was different after trashing the alias because I had relaunched Mail and SpamSieve many times previously with a hang in both.

Click to Download

SpamSieve.zip
840 bytes

Click to Download

SpamSieve.app.zip
32.5 MB

I just now quit Mail and put the alias back in the Applications folder. There was no hang on relaunching Mail. So it could be a timing issue with the first start of a newly downloaded application.

I have developed some database applications (4D). My most difficult thing to unravel was a timing issue. Putting a few millisecond delay in some code was the answer in that instance. I’m sure Mac application development is much more challenging.

Which app crashed? Your initial post did not mention a crash, only that the apps were hanging. We do not have access to crash logs that you submit to Apple, however you should be able to find the crash log files in this folder.

Was the name of the alias file SpamSieve? Or did it say alias or have a file extension?

A dialog comes up after you force quit an app that is “not responding”. The dialog has a lot of lines of log entries which I don’t understand. There is a choice of “report” which sends the information to Apple and “cancel”. I clicked the report button. “Crash” may be different than “not responding”.

I sent you the alias file. It’s 840 bytes and has the name: SpamSieve with no extension. It says “alias” in the Kind column in the Finder Window.

Here are some typical log files, from that folder you reference below, from last night when I was having the issues. There are many more likely representing the multiple attempts to start Mail + SpamSieve.

TransparencyTopic_2023-03-10-185019_Scotts-M1-MBP.diag (39.5 KB)

SiriSearchFeedback-2023-03-10-195322.diag (338 Bytes)

OK, yes, that is different from a crash log, and as far as I know macOS does not automatically save it to disk.

It seems to actually be a bookmark file. I still doubt this is related to the hang, though it’s an interesting question where the file came from.

Thanks. I don’t see anything interesting here, I’m afraid.