Search logs based on columns other than date

I have had the need on quite a few occasions to search or even sort the SpamSieve log based on things such as the “Type” column, or even the “Subject” or “From” columns. Usually it is because SpamSieve seems to always miss a certain type of spam that I need to use the search or sort function to find them since my log is pretty large. Please consider adding sort to the other columns or allow search to also search those columns.

What do you find in the log entries? Do they say that SpamSieve predicted the messages to be good? If so, it should say why.

But normally it’s not necessary to find the message in the log because you could just correct the mistake by training from your mail client.

The Subject and From columns are already searchable. Could you give an example of what you are trying to search for and not finding?

Due to the volume of emails I get daily between my and my families emails, it is not that easy to just “train with my mail client”, especially when it’s my kids accounts and I don’t have access to their spam box and/or they don’t have access to the folder that would trigger the “train as good” or “train as spam”. That means I need to connect to my drone computer and find the log entries to manually mark them as good or spam. Plus I was a software engineer and searching/sorting data is in my blood.

SpamSieve since version 3.0 has not been very good at detecting image spam (spam where the whole message is a single image), it used to catch a good 90% of it, now it is closer to 10%. The detection failures, always get marked with a spam score of 27. That is why I would like to sort/search for that pattern so I can then investigate further why it was missed or how I can train SpamSieve to catch that spam in the future. Otherwise I need to just keep scrolling and hope my eyes catch that pattern buried in the other 1000’s of lines in the log file.

OK, I did not realize that you were using SpamSieve as a server to filter accounts that you don’t have direct access to. You may want to turn off auto-training since you are not in a position to train mistakes promptly.

I would not expect there to be this sort of decline, so it would be interesting to see a diagnostic report after you train the messages. Perhaps it’s because some mistakes were not corrected?

You want to search for messages with a score of 27? Were you doing that with SpamSieve 2’s text log file?

Auto training was already turned off, I already recognized that as an issue. I didn’t expect the decline to be that bad either, but it did, only with this specific kind of spam. I will gather some info on them when more comes in.

I didn’t have a need in SpamSieve 2 to search for 27, since it rarely failed. If I needed to do a search, a simple grep command against the text logfile allowed me to find what I was looking for.

:+1:

I’m planning to add more searching and filtering features to the log. In the meantime, it is possible to search a text export, which is similar to the old log format:

1. Sort the Log window with the Date column descending.
  2. Choose Edit ‣ Select All and then Edit ‣ Copy. (For RAM/performance reasons, SpamSieve limits the selection to 1,000 log entries, so this will copy the most recent 1,000 entries, which are now at the top.)
  3. Paste into your text editor of choice.

If you see a message of interest, it will have a line like this:

Identifier: rox5CSeTVF7by61+TmcZ7w==

and you can copy/paste the identifier into the Search field in the log window to find all the log entries that pertain to that exact message.