Search only in Gmail Labels

Hello,

I’m new to EagleFiler but I really like the software. So I imported my Gmail Takeout File into EagleFiler and it works really well. Search is fast and works well. But I have one question, I want to search after Gmail Labels, as I noticed and read in the Release Notes, these are in the Index so search works. My Problem is, I want to search only the X-Gmail-Labels and nothing else to create some Intelligent Folders. But I can only search for the Labels itself and it finds also the Mails that contain the label name somewhere else. Is there a way to restricted the search to only the mail header?

Thanks a lot,
porticas

That’s not currently possible for the X-Gmail-Labels header. Perhaps in the future we can add support for that or convert the Gmail labels into EagleFiler tags.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. Converting the Gmail labels into EagleFiler tags would be the best solution and solve my problems. So I hope for the future version.

Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Hi,

I just want to add my +1 to this. I think an alternative could also be to allow a regex search on the contents of the emails? (I guess this would be quite slow).

Thanks!

Do you mean the converting to EagleFiler tags part?

Do you mean the headers rather than the body content?

Yes.

Hi @Michael_Tsai

You won’t be surprised to hear the Gmail Takeout MBOX files are a mess. The smallest file you can get is a single MBOX file with all the stuff, but no folders/labels. If you do download all the labels, you end up with tons of duplicates (assuming you also downloaded the archive/sent/inbox “IMAP-like” folders).

So my strategy was download the single file for now. Ideally, I could recreate the folders/labels I care about without duplicating anything using Smart Folders in EF, if I could only search for a particular X-Gmail-Labels string. I see you allow regex text matching on several headers. Any chance you could include X-Gmail-Labels as well?

Thanks.

Possibly, but wouldn’t it be better to have EagleFiler just import the labels as tags, once, and then you wouldn’t need to have two different representations (tags, headers) in EagleFiler and searching would be faster?

Hi @Michael_Tsai, yes I agree importing as tags would be better. I’ll take whichever you think can be implemented :slight_smile: