Sony WF-1000XM4 sometimes not showing up in Sound devices list when switching from another device

Recently I’ve started having an occasional issue with connecting my Sony WF-1000XM4 via the menu bar icon.

Not sure if this is an issue with my earphones or Toothfairy, but it only started recently and now happens maybe 50% of the time. I wonder if it could be related to updating to MacOS 12.6 or Toothfairy 2.8.2?

This only seems to happen when they’re currently connected to a different device and need to switch to my Macbook.

If I click two more times to disconnect and connect then they finally connect and work

The previous behaviour & behaviour the other 50% of the time is that with one click, the headphones say ‘Bluetooth connected’ and immediately start to work

I’m on Toothfairy 2.8.2, Mac OS 12.6, 2019 Intel i7 Macbook Pro

I’ve seen this a few times, and it seems like there is macOS issue (at least since Monterey) where some devices are not recognized as potential sound output devices. The workaround is to disconnect and reconnect the device, and ToothFairy will do this automatically if it detects that the device wasn’t made the sound output target after connecting. However, it seems like the workaround didn’t work in your case. I’ll send you test version that may be more effective.

1 Like