Spam messages seem to be getting through more often (in MacOS 13 Ventura)

Recently, I seem to be seeing more spam than usual in my inbox. SpamSieve has been working very well for years so I’m a bit surprised. I have three main mail addresses and these spams arrive mostly for one of them. In fact, most of the spam I receive is sent to this mail address.

This morning, in that inbox, I found two messages that, to me, are spam. The log says "predicted: Good (5) and Trained : Good (Auto) for one of them and "predicted: Good (27) and Trained : Good (Auto) for the other one.

These are not really the usual obvious spams but one is trying to sell me a drone and the other is trying to sell a backpack. I have never purchased anything from either seller and have never even heard of them. Both have an “unsubscribe” link at the bottom but I’m not sure it’s a good idea to click such things when you never subscribed in the first place.

I have put both into my TrainSpam mailbox on my computer (the drone is on the server).

Both the server (where the drone is installed), and my Mac are on MacOS Ventura 13.6. Mail is version 16.0. SpamSieve version 3.

Is there a problem somewhere or is this just spammers becoming more cunning?

I’ve not been hearing other reports of this happening. Please use the Save Diagnostic Report command in the Help menu (on the drone) and send me the report file, as described here, and I’ll investigate.

If these are true spams (not messages from retailers that you had actually done business with), it’s probably not a good idea to try to unsubscribe.

Hello Michael,

Sorry for the late reply.

Since then, only one spam mail got through. I put in into the TrainSpam folder. I think I got used to hardly ever seeing any spam in my inbox so I worried a bit prematurely.

Here’s the report.

Thanks for the report. It looks like you have things set up properly and these are real SpamSieve mistakes. Good thing it hasn’t been very many messages, but I’m working on some changes that I think will help here, and please let me know if you continue to see spams getting through.

It’s getting worse. A message from info.ygzdaeyjqgo0ngzbcm6 @ wsdf965.onmicrosoft. com, all in Chinese, got through although usually I don’t see these spams. I do see a bunch of them later when I empty the Junk Mailbox.

And also one from DmrNFIle @ krudh. fr.

I looked at the log file and neither appear as predicted anything.
I trained both as spam, and now they appear in the log file as Trained: Spam (Manual).

Both were sent to gmail accounts and I hadn’t read either on another device.

It seems that SpamSieve is not seeing these messages.
I read the Manual, 7.13.1 "Why are Apple Mail inbox messages not being processed? ". It seems to apply to Sonoma and the Mail Extension and not my setup still using Ventura 13.6 and the Plug-In.

Should I send another Diagnostic Report?

This seems like a different problem, then. Please send a new diagnostic report (not to the forum).

Hello Michael,

I’m having trouble sending you the report. I’m trying various methods because the SMTP server thinks it is spam and refuses to send it!

I’m trying to send a zip file so don’t be surprised if it does get through.

I have never, in over 30 years seen a problem like this one!

I agree with your reading of the log. It’s not clear why those two messages weren’t Predicted, unless they had been marked as read on another device before they got to your Mac. The rule setup in Mail looks correct, and I see that subsequent messages were correctly processed, so I don’t see anything to change at the moment.