Spam Sieve has lost its accuracy on my Macs

Please be more precise. What does SpamSieve’s log say? How do you have SpamSieve’s address book preferences set?

I don’t think so, because (a) there were no address book changes in the 2.6.6 update, and (b) the update has been out for more than three weeks and no one else has reported a problem like this.

What was the exact log entry? Which mail program are you using?

If SpamSieve predicts a message to be good, it is normal for it to auto-train a message and add the sender to the whitelist. When you train the message as spam, it will disable the rule that was added to the whitelist.

It would be more helpful if you could tell me specifically what you did. Also, please see the FAQ.

Who is “we”? There was another thread where people were reporting what they thought were problems with 2.6.6. One person had a problem on his Mac where part of his corpus file was deleted. Another did not have his mail program setup properly and was not training SpamSieve with the spam messages that got through. So neither ended up being related to 2.6.6.

Reply to Michael from 2/16/08
Sorry to be so long to reply… I also recd your email. I’m sorry I no longer have any of the 2.6.6 logs or entries. I had completely trashed the update and all associated files before re-installing older version 2.6.5, starting all logs from scratch.

As far as mail program, I am using Apple Mail 2.1.3 under Mac OX 10.4.11, and never changed any settings in preferences from the defaults SpamSieve came with (until the one change after installing 2.6.6 when I got the address book error). I’ve been using the SpamSieve since January 2006.

I finally re-installed the last update, SpamSieve 2.6.5, all preferences left at their default settings, and all problems were solved – I’m back to no spam getting through. (of course, after training the program for a couple of days).

If I get some time, I may experiment with re-installing 2.6.6 and see if any of the same problems crop up again. If so, I will be sure to make copies of all the data to send you.

Thanks for taking the time to look into my glitch!