Spam Sieve marks messages with brown color

I seem to have found a culprit. I uninstalled all of the plugins mentioned above. I reinstalled the latest beta of MailTags and the first message into my inbox is brown. See attachment.

I’ll report this to Steve over at Indev.

Napkin 2.napkin 10-23-13, 2.53.34 PM.png

The header that says “Mail thinks this message is Junk” disappears when you hit the button that says “This is not junk”, but on the left side of the message header there is a vertical brown line that does not appear after you hit that button. I do have MailTags installed. I’ll remove that and see if it creates a conflict.

i have no other mail plug-ins. So I am not sure other plug-ins are causing this issue.

Different people in this thread are reporting different issues. From what you’ve said, it sounds to me like there’s nothing out of the ordinary happening on your Mac.

Michael,

I have uninstalled all mail plugins (MailTags, Mail Act-on and Mail Attachment Tamer). I still got the brown coloring problem. I then proceeded to uninstall SpamSieve and the problem stopped. None of my incoming emails are marked brown.

I can only deduct from that that SpamSieveieve does have something to do with the problem, unfortunately.

And to confirm this, I have just reinstalled all those plugins one after another and tested in between each install, no problem. When I finally installed SpamSieve last, some messages are marked as junk again as if the junk filter was enabled, although it’s not.

That’s strange, since SpamSieve only marks messages as junk if it thinks they’re spam, and you said the log showed that SpamSieve did not think the messages were spam. What happens if you have the SpamSieve plug-in installed but the SpamSieve rule unchecked?

Michael,

SpamSieve is installed but I unchecked the SpamSieve rule. Things are still being marked as junk.

Since the only time the SpamSieve plug-in marks messages as junk is in response to the rule, this makes me doubt that uninstalling the plug-in actually changed anything for you. One thing you could do is click these two links: 1, 2. This will tell the SpamSieve rule and training commands not to mark messages as junk (or not junk). It will still be able to filter the messages, but this way you can be sure that SpamSieve isn’t changing the junk status.

Ok great I clicked the two links and restarted apple mail and spamsieve. hoping that does it. Wish i could do the same thing for gmail. Gmail is going to junk and archive, maybe I will have to wean myself off gmail.

I have no change since clicking on 1 and 2.

Has anyone else found a solution to this? I am beginning to think it is a bug in the program

The behavior that you reported (seeing the brown bar for spam/junk messages, even though Mail’s junk filter is off) is normal. It’s how Apple Mail on Mavericks is designed to work. Even when SpamSieve is set not to mark messages as junk, they can still be marked as junk by the server or as a result of being moved to a special Junk mailbox.

Thanks very much Michael. I ended up speaking to a Tier 2 guy at Applecare. He had me reset the Junk Mail filter and unclick what I could unclick. That has seemed to help. Junk mail was finding stuff that was not being marked as junk on the server side as Junk although gmail is still doing that. Will probably wean myself off gmail

Brown messages in Inbox and Spam Folder
I get messages in my inbox that are brown and ask if it is JUNK MAIL. I also get some in my SPAM folder, not all of them. I called Apple and they couldn’t help but said I could call back and talk with a senior technical person. My concern is that it has something to do with the interaction of Spamsieve and Mail. The only other add-on I have is Mailtags.

I am also having another problem with Spamsieve. It asks me every time I open Mail if I will allow Spamsieve to access my contacts. I checked my System Preferences and it is set to allow contacts for Spamsieve.

What you are seeing is probably normal and not related to SpamSieve. Please see the Mavericks Compatibility page, which describes some of the changes in Apple Mail.

This sounds like #2 on the Mavericks Compatibility page.