SpamSieve 3.0.1 not working with Sonoma 14.1.1

I was successfully using SpamSieve 3.01 with Ventura OS. After I installed the Sonoma OS, I clicked on the SpamSieve icon in the dock. When the Apple Mail window appears, the user can select either “Disable Spam Filtering in Apple Mail” or “Enable spam filtering using Mail extension” but not both. Initially, I selected “Enable spam filtering,” but no spam went into the SpamSieve folder, even after I started training it. So then I selected “Disable Spam Filtering in Apple Mail” to see if that would change anything. It did not. Still no spam in SpamSieve folder.

When using macOS Sonoma (or the Mail extension in general), the automatically caught spam messages are moved to the Junk mailbox. These and other changes are discussed here.

Thank you so much for your response. I followed all those steps as per your suggestion, but I’m still not seeing spam in my SpamSieve or Junk folders.

Please use the Save Diagnostic Report command in the Help menu and send me the report file, as described here.

Thanks for sending the report. There is an Apple Mail bug that can prevent messages from being filtered automatically when using the Mail extension. SpamSieve has a built-in workaround for the bug, but in version 3.0.1 the workaround is limited to mailboxes with 5,000 messages. It looks like you have more than that. I recommend updating to SpamSieve 3.0.2 (now in beta), which does not have this limitation.

Michael, I’d like to try 3.0.2. I looked around quite a bit and didn’t see how to download it. Can you please direct me? Thanks!

On the beta page linked in the previous post, click the “directly download the new build” link.

I downloaded 3.0.2 and still no spam in the SpamSieve folder.
But also no spammy email in my In boxes, so I guess I’ll just leave it at that unless you have another suggestion.

Thanks so much,

Ave

It sounds like you just haven’t received any spam (yay) or that it was already deleted by your mail provider. You can tell for sure whether SpamSieve has seen any new spam messages by looking in the Log window.

It’s not possible that spam hasn’t been sent. I checked the log and see a zillion spam emails from today, all from Xerox Gallery Apps. I’ve never gotten anythingj from them before and have never gotten a zillion emails in one day from any one sender. They’re all “predicted spam.” I see a bunch of those from prior days as well.

What does it mean that they’re in the log but not in my SpamSieve folder?

I see two emails that did get through to my In Box. They’re both “predicted good.” Why are they in SpamSieve and also my In Box?

And I see two that are “predicted good,” but if I had a way, I would mark them as spam.

I don’t know if you saw my previous message. I think I’m going to have to completely uninstall SpamSieve and allow spam to get through for now. I’m signing up for something and they sent the kind of email confirmation email that I would typically have to look for in the spam folder. The confirmation email isn’t in my In Box, so I may never see it unless I allow spam to go through.

There is not supposed to be anything in a folder called SpamSieve. SpamSieve moves the spam messages to the Junk mailbox. There is a separate Junk mailbox in each mail account, and you can optionally set up an All Junk mailbox that shows all the spam in one place.

The Log window shows all the messages that SpamSieve examined, not just the spams.

You can train them as spam from the SpamSieve menu bar icon or from the Log window.

You can see all the good messages in SpamSieve’s Log window, too. So you’ll never lose any messages due to having SpamSieve enabled, even if for some reason you can’t find the messages in Mail.

Michael, this is all starting to make sense. Sorry I’ve been so dense. It’s a little complicated. I did find all the spam, which is indeed in the Junk folder. I have four Junk folders. I’m not used to having to look in every folder or even scrolling down to look at the Junk folder since everything was always in the SS folder, but now I think I recall reading that it would be in the Junk folder. Now I’m with the program. Thank you for sticking with me!

Great! And you can still see all the spam in the same place if you want. Click the + button when you hover over Favorites at the top of Mail’s mailbox list:

apple mail favorites

You can then add the special All Junk mailbox to the list:

apple mail sidebar all junk

Perfect. Thank you, Michael!