SpamSieve 3

I’m using Apple Mail under Sonoma and I may well be doing something wrong, and I’ve posted here about this before, but let me bring up my problem one last time.

Currently what happens is that SpamSieve 3 shows the less spammier messages in my Junk folder. (Is SpamSieve taking care of the more spammier ones?) There would be more of them, and because I don’t want those messages showing up in my Trash folder, I’ve created about 25 Apple Mail rules that pre-remove some of them based on sender or content, but I keep getting similar ones over and over.

If I were to re-train some of those messages as spam, would that help? If not is there anything else I can do?

I’m absolutely sure that when I used SpamSieve 2 and its color rules (which I’m not using now) that after a while I might see 1 or 2 new spammy message a week, as opposed to the 5 or 6 I now get every day.

Would color rules help me? If so please explain how to implement them.
Is it possible to revert back to SpamSieve 2 under Sonoma?

If you have Move it to the Trash if the spam score is at least selected, SpamSieve will move the more spammy messages to Trash and the less spammy ones to Junk. You can see which messages it processed in the Log window. If a message is not mentioned as Predicted: Spam in the Log window, that means SpamSieve didn’t touch it.

If a spam message is going to the Inbox, you should definitely train it as spam. If it’s going to Junk because of SpamSieve (not because of a server filter) then training it as spam will make it more likely for future messages like that to go to Trash if you are using the Move it to the Trash if the spam score is at least option. You can also adjust the score threshold to make more messages go to Trash.

You can create rules on your mail server or in Apple Mail to delete messages, though I cannot recommend that because it’s easy to accidentally delete good messages that way, with no way to get them back (unlike with SpamSieve where you can still find the message in the Log window).

The color rules setup that we recommended would not change how many messages you saw, only whether the messages appeared in Junk or Trash. If you had gone off book and created a color rule that used the Delete Message action, that would make some messages disappear entirely.

macOS Sonoma removed support for Mail plug-ins, so color rules are no longer possible.

Yes, but it won’t work with Apple Mail because Sonoma no longer supports Mail plug-ins.

Thank you for the reply, but, and correct me if I’m wrong, it seems that everything you have suggested causes spam to wind up in Trash and I want them to be in Junk. Is there any way to do that?

I thought, from your previous messages, that you didn’t want most of the spams to go to Junk. If you want them all to go to Junk, that’s easy: just uncheck Move it to the Trash if the spam score is at least. That will bring you back to the default SpamSieve configuration.

1 Like