SpamSieve Help Not Working

SpamSieve 3.0 Help doesn’t work. Clicking on greyed out topics with the circled right arrow or the Question Mark icon or selecting Help from the menu Bar causes the Mac OS Help window to open and then immediately close. Every time, without exception. Help works fine in Finder and other apps.

macOS 13.5 (22G74)

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac20,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 16 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 40 GB
System Firmware Version: 1968.140.7.0.0 (iBridge: 20.16.6072.0.0,0)
OS Loader Version: 577.140.2~15
Serial Number (system): H12DKK72PN7C
Hardware UUID: F68580CC-577E-58EE-8357-72FE78DF23EC
Provisioning UDID: F68580CC-577E-58EE-8357-72FE78DF23EC
Activation Lock Status: Enabled

Thanks for the report. I’ve not heard of this happening before. It sounds like maybe the macOS Help Viewer app is crashing. Do you see any crash log files for it?

It might help to restart the Mac or to purge the Help Viewer caches by entering this command in Terminal:

hiutil -P

Michael,

Most applications that use the Help Viewer open and display the viewer just fine. With the exception of SpamSieve 3, the few applications for which the Help Viewer crashes tend to be older apps. All Apple applications launch the viewer with no problems.

I have restarted the computer and purged the Help Viewer caches successfully. No joy.

Attached below is a Console crash report generated by launching Help via the SpamSieve Menubar icon > Help > SpamSieve Help.

HelpViewer-2023-10-15-112134.ips (28.7 KB)

Thanks. Did you have this problem with the SpamSieve 2 help? It looks like the crash is related to the Safari Safe Browsing feature (which checks URLs against a Google database). It seems like there’s a particular URL (not sure which one) that is triggering a bug in this subsystem.

Anyway, all of the SpamSieve help is also available online. Let me know if you need help figuring out which page corresponds to a particular link from the app.