SpamSieve is not honoring 'Exclude my address' setting

I just manually switched to a new M1 Mac Studio (Monterey 12.4) from my old MacPro5,1. I did a clean installation of SpamSieve 2.9.48 and configured it to run on my user account using Apple Mail and my wife’s user account using Outlook 365. I did not bring over any of the training data for my account; and my wife was not using SpamSieve on the MacPro.

SpamSieve appears to be properly filtering incoming mail on both accounts, with one exception. Emails that spoof one of our email addresses as the sender are not filtered even though the “Exclude my address” setting is set for MacOS Contacts on both accounts.

An example log entry from my account (using Mail) that might be relevant:

> Predicted: Good (0)
> Subject: thanks 😄 this is your code #(hIYwh2Yug8 ) to receive your reward.
> From: xxxxxxx@owt.com
> Identifier: MGjnnlw2p6OWda6K1Q/y6g==
> Reason: sender <xxxxxxx@owt.com> in address book
> Date: 2022-06-05 20:13:46 -0700 (PDT)

xxxxxxx@owt.com is one of my email addresses on my contact card in the Mac’s Contacts.

A few more log entries, this time from my wife’s (Outlook) account:

> =====================================================================
> Predicted: Good (0)
> Subject: enter immediately 🤩 your participation is needed
> From: yyy@owt.com
> Identifier: iM6zUUcZ5K+HCsWXl8zmvA==
> Reason: sender <yyy@owt.com> in address book
> Date: 2022-06-05 20:14:55 -0700 (PDT)
> Trained: Spam (Manual)
> From: yyy@owt.com
> Actions: added to Spam corpus (38)
> Date: 2022-06-05 20:28:06 -0700 (PDT)
> Mistake: False Negative
> Classifier: Address Book
> Score: 0
> Date: 2022-06-05 20:28:11 -0700 (PDT)

I haven’t tried turning off the “Use macOS Contacts” on my account; or the “Use macOS Contacts” and “Use Entourage/Outlook address book” on my wife’s.

How do I proceed in troubleshooting this?

Paul

There’s more information about this here, but the basic idea is to make sure that your own card in Contacts lists all of your addresses. Otherwise, SpamSieve won’t know which ones to exclude.

1 Like

Thanks. That appears to be the problem (just need to wait for some spam to test the changes). Apparently, when I created the new user accounts on the Mac Studio, a new, empty, “Me” card is created in Contacts totally separate from all of the contacts subsequently downloaded from iCloud. And the imported Outlook contacts on my wife’s account were in bad shape with several cards for her with different information and none of those designated as her.

I confirmed that the “Exclude My Address” is now working for my account using Apple Mail.

I can’t tell if my wife’s account is working properly since I had inadvertently blocklisted one of her email addresses when I originally was trying to train messages as spam. Can I safely delete her email address from the blocklist or is there a better way?

It’s best if you can find the message that you incorrectly trained as spam and train it as good. Otherwise, leave the blocklist rule but uncheck it.