Spamsieve NEEDS enhancements

Most new spam I’m getting these days are coming in with pictures, perhaps only pictures, and the emails are always different. We need a why to block these. It seems that most of Spamsieve’s blocking is done by address, and perhaps subject. This means that I have to go manually add a block in Spamsieve. When I try to add the block and enter something that I want to block in the body, the line jumps to somewhere else. Sometimes hard to find where it moved to, in order to change to Body and Contains.

I suggest a minor improvement here. Have a small frontend to adding a filter. A small one line dialog for that item and then a confirmation to add to filter list. Or perhaps a right click on email that brings it up to let me select default or a custom block.

Why? Are the messages going to your inbox instead of the spam mailbox? Or are you hoping to delete them sight unseen?

That is not true at all.

Quoting the manual:

There is normally no need for you to manually create or delete blocklist rules because SpamSieve learns to recognize your spam automatically. Thus, it’s OK if you receive spam from constantly changing addresses; you don’t have to worry about creating blocklist rules to match all of them. If a lot of spam is in your inbox, your first step should be to follow the instructions in Why is SpamSieve not catching my spam? rather than to create blocklist rules that may not be needed or even used (e.g. if the real problem is that your mail program isn’t set up properly).

Normally, a rule should be selected while you are editing it. If you make a change that causes the rule to sort to a different position, SpamSieve will keep it selected and automatically scroll the view so that you can still see it. It sounds like you are deselecting the rule before editing it; then it may not be in view after the resorting. You can also change the sort column if you don’t want whatever you are editing to affect the sort order.

It’s definitely possible to write an AppleScript to do this. However, as I said above, if you feel the need to manually creates lots of rules, that’s probably a sign that there’s some other problem that you should fix.

Most new spam I’m getting these days are coming in with pictures, perhaps only pictures, and the emails are always different. We need a why to block these.
Why? Are the messages going to your inbox instead of the spam mailbox? Or are you hoping to delete them sight unseen?

I don’t want to see them I want them block before I see them. But I’ve been seeing them for months and trying to get filters to block them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevering View Post
It seems that most of Spamsieve’s blocking is done by address, and perhaps subject.
That is not true at all.

If that is not true, then why do all my blocks show “From” except from items that I added that show Subject or Body ???

I did not mention anything about an applescript.

Tell me where you block list is stored and I’ll show you what I mean

That is not a feature of SpamSieve. It doesn’t prevent you from receiving messages; rather, it moves the spams from the inbox to the spam mailbox (automatically). Is that part working for you or not?

The only kind of blocklist rules that SpamSieve creates automatically are “From” rules. However, SpamSieve filters the vast majority of messages via the Bayesian classifier, not the blocklist. The Bayesian classifier considers the entire message contents, including headers and attachments. In other words, your conclusion is not based on looking at the whole picture.

I was just mentioning that your suggested feature could be added by writing an AppleScript.

Airmail
I’m using Airmail right now. Mac Mail is not working for me… Doesn’t want to connect to my server.

Airmail connects good, so does Postbox. Airmail works better with Spamsieve than Postbox