SpamSieve not coloring spam messages

Hi,

I have a “Bulk Mail” folder on the mail server that I tell SpamSieve to put all my spam into. I also tell SpamSieve to “Mark as Unread”, and color the spam messages. These settings are set using the “SpamSieve - Change Settings” script.

When I get a spam, SpamSieve marks the message as unread, and moves it into the “Bulk Mail” folder. However, it does not color the spam; it is still white. If I then highlight this spam messages and do “SpamSieve - Train as Spam”, the message is then colored. I can’t figure out what could be wrong. When I had SpamSieve set up on my old POP account, the coloring worked fine.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks.

Mike

The setting in Change Settings for marking messages as unread is for when you train a message as good, not for the incoming messages.

I am skeptical about the name of your mailbox being “Bulk Mail.” Are the only messages there the ones that SpamSieve thought were spam? If not, maybe the messages aren’t colored because SpamSieve didn’t move them there.

Hi Michael,

Of course you’re right. Messages marked as Good go into the inbox, not spam. My bad.

I think you’re right about the Bulk Mail folder. I’ll create a Spam folder on the server and and point SpamSieve to it.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Hello again Michael,

On my IMAP email server, I created a new mailbox called “Spam”, and pointed my SpamSieve Apple Mail rule to this new mailbox. I also went thru the “SpamSieve - Change Settings” script to make sure that I had “Color Spammy Email” set to YES.

After a few hours, I received some spam that SpamSieve caught and moved to my new “Spam” folder. Unfortunately, the spam mail is not colored :frowning:

Do you have any other ideas that I can try? Could my problem be due to the fact all my mailboxes are on the IMAP server? Is it possible that when a spam message comes into my IMAP Inbox and SpamSieve moves it to my “Spam” IMAP mailbox, that the coloring is somehow dropped?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

This setting takes effect when you quit and re-launch Mail.

I’ve never heard of it not working with IMAP mailboxes, but I suppose there could be something particular about your server. What happens if you use a local mailbox for this IMAP account’s spam?

This setting takes effect when you quit and re-launch Mail.

Thanks Michael. I’ve quit/relaunched Mail many times just to make sure everything stays set up the way I want it.

I’ve never heard of it not working with IMAP mailboxes, but I suppose there could be something particular about your server. What happens if you use a local mailbox for this IMAP account’s spam?

My mail’s on a Go Daddy server, so I’m following whatever rules they have for IMAP.

I’ve just set up a local “Spam” mailbox and pointed SpamSieve’s rule to it; I’ll post here when I get some results.

Thanks.

Mike

Hi Michael,

SpamSieve correctly colored the spam messages when it sent them to my local Spam mailbox. So it seems that in my IMAP set up with Go Daddy, the coloring does not work for me with an IMAP Spam folder.

I need the spam messages to go to this IMAP folder, since I want to check these on my iPhone while I’m away. If you don’t have any other ideas, it looks like I’ll have to live without colored spam messages.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Hello again Michael,

Sorry to respond to my own message, but I was checking the console messages and I found many (and I mean many) IMAP assertion failures. Here is one of them:

10/26/09 7:07:14 PM	Mail[36240]	*** Assertion failure in -[IMAPAccount _IMAPMailboxForMailboxUid:name:createIfNeeded:], /SourceCache/Message/Message-1076.1/Accounts.subproj/IMAPAccount.m:1088
Didn't create IMAPMailbox for (null)
(
	0   Message                             0x00007fff87989828 -[MFAssertionHandler _handleFailureWithPreamble:description:arguments:] + 137
	1   Message                             0x00007fff8798978d -[MFAssertionHandler handleFailureInMethod:object:file:lineNumber:description:] + 220
	2   Message                             0x00007fff877f4ad4 -[IMAPAccount _IMAPMailboxForMailboxUid:name:createIfNeeded:] + 684
	3   Message                             0x00007fff878229d6 -[IMAPConnection(MFPrivate) _recordUntaggedResponse:forOperation:exists:] + 569
	4   Message                             0x00007fff87821297 -[IMAPConnection _copyNextTaggedOrContinuationResponseForCommand:exists:] + 228
	5   Message                             0x00007fff8781f876 -[IMAPConnection(MFPrivate) _responseFromSendingOperation:] + 976
	6   Message                             0x00007fff8781f479 -[IMAPConnection executeClientOperation:] + 22
	7   Message                             0x00007fff8781f19a -[IMAPConnection prepareAndExecuteOperation:outWrongState:] + 1465
	8   Message                             0x00007fff8781e5e1 -[IMAPGateway _allowClientOperationThrough:] + 800
	9   Message                             0x00007fff8781e007 -[IMAPGateway allowClientOperationThrough:] + 374
	10  Message                             0x00007fff8781de63 -[IMAPClientOperation main] + 81
	11  Foundation                          0x00007fff8683911a -[__NSOperationInternal start] + 673
	12  Foundation                          0x00007fff86838dd8 ____startOperations_block_invoke_2 + 99
	13  libSystem.B.dylib                   0x00007fff86f9dcf6 _dispatch_call_block_and_release + 15
	14  libSystem.B.dylib                   0x00007fff86f7c1e9 _dispatch_worker_thread2 + 231
	15  libSystem.B.dylib                   0x00007fff86f7bb28 _pthread_wqthread + 353
	16  libSystem.B.dylib                   0x00007fff86f7b9c5 start_wqthread + 13
)

I don’t know if this pertains to my IMAP Spam coloring problem, and I certainly can’t decipher it, but maybe you can?

Thanks.

Mike

Michael,

2 files showing pics of my Spam folders and the colored/not colored messages.

Mike

I suppose it’s possible that the problem is caused by a damaged Mail database. You could try quitting Mail, then renaming the file:

/Users/<username>/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

to “Envelope Index Old” and re-launch Mail so that it builds a new one.

It’s showing a bug in Mail’s IMAP handling, but I don’t know whether it’s at all related to the coloring.

Thanks for the response Michael. I’ll try renaming the Envelope Index and see if that changes anything.

As to the IMAP assertion error, I wasn’t sure if it meant anything. Thanks for looking.

Mike

Michael,

As you suggested, I renamed the Envelope Index file and let mail rebuild it. I then modified SpamSieve’s rule to point to my IMAP Spam folder. Unfortunately, the spam that was sent there was not colored.

Thanks for your help and patience. I’ll just deal with the non-colored spam for the reasons I mentioned before.

Mike