SpamSieve scanned my entire inbox this morning

This morning SpamSieve scanned my entire inbox and categorized everything (2500+ messages). I don’t see anything in the log that says why it kicked off the scan, but it did find some spam from a few months ago in the inbox, but also categorized some good messages as spam. I’m concerned it may have marked some spam messages as good, but it’s hard to scroll through the log and find them. I’m running the extension, the plug-in is not installed, and there are no rules active. Have you seen anything like that before? Also it looks like SpamSieve is scanning each new email twice. It will show a predicted good with an arrow, then a predicted good with a repeat sign.

Running SpamSieve 3.0.2 on Ventura 13.6.1.

I wouldn’t expect SpamSieve to do that because its inbox scan is supposed to skip messages that it had already processed or that were received before SpamSieve’s Apple Mail filtering was enabled. If you look in the Log window, what does it say for the Origin of these old messages that were filtered?

If these are in fact old messages, perhaps you can just sort your Junk mailbox by date, and if the actual old spam messages have already been erased, any potential good messages would all be at the top of the list.

You could select all the log entries in that 2,500 block and Copy/Paste them to a text file. Then search it for Predicted: Spam. Since all the good messages were processed together in a group, there should be few if any of these that were not part of that group.

Not with the Mail extension. With the Mail plug-in, there were ways that the user could accidentally tell Mail to apply all the rules to their old inbox messages. I supposed it’s possible to accidentally select the entire inbox and press the Filter Messages keyboard shortcut, but I haven’t heard of that happening.

That’s normal. It’s a byproduct of the Check inboxes for new messages not sent to Mail extension feature, which checks for new messages in the inbox to work around a macOS bug where the Mail extension may not see all the new messages.

I wouldn’t expect SpamSieve to do that because its inbox scan is supposed to skip messages that it had already processed or that were received before SpamSieve’s Apple Mail filtering was enabled. If you look in the Log window, what does it say for the Origin of these old messages that were filtered?

It’s got Origin: Mail 16.0/3731.700.6 (SpamSieve extension 1.0.2)

You could select all the log entries in that 2,500 block and Copy /Paste them to a text file. Then search it for Predicted: Spam . Since all the good messages were processed together in a group, there should be few if any of these that were not part of that group.

That worked, it found the ones I rescued from Junk already.

That’s normal. It’s a byproduct of the Check inboxes for new messages not sent to Mail extensionfeature, which checks for new messages in the inbox to work around a macOS bug where the Mail extension may not see all the new messages.

Ok that makes sense.

This means that Mail decided to send the messages to the SpamSieve Mail extension. We don’t have any control over that. Mail should only do that for new messages or if you use the Apply Rules command, though I suppose it’s possible that there’s a bug.

This means that Mail decided to send the messages to the SpamSieve Mail extension. We don’t have any control over that. Mail should only do that for new messages or if you use the Apply Rules command, though I suppose it’s possible that there’s a bug.

Well, if it’s a Mail bug I won’t hold my breath for it to be fixed. On the plus side a few weeks ago I archived everything in my inbox prior to 2023 which prevented several years of emails being scanned. Thanks for the info!

Yes, however you could turn off the SpamSieve extension in Mail and then just let SpamSieve itself detect the new messages to filter.