SS3.0.1 Update seems not to be working properly

Running MacOSVentura13.6.1and new version 3.0.1 of SpamSieve. Previous version of SS worked smoothly. I have twice now painstakingly and carefully followed the detailed (and confusing!) instructions on how to install and us SS, the plug-in system. I am using Apple Mail as well as iCloud Mail. When spam appears in Inbox, I select it and then train it as “Bad”. The collected Spam items do not then disappear from the pane and appear in any Junk mailbox, either the Apple Mail "Junk"or the iCloud "Junk"mailbox. None of the items which I can identify as "Spam"in the Inbox are showing as being colored.
I am an old man, not very competent on the computer, and right now I am VERY frustrated with the intricacy and difficulty of the new version of SpamSieve. Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated. I get the impression that the new software is very much a “work in progress”,and likely to cause much inconvenience to loyal customers.

Michael Blayney

If you’re using macOS 13, you don’t have to install anything or follow any instructions in order for it to keep working. You can just let the app auto-update itself, and it will keep using the same plug-in file as before. The instructions for those using the plug-in are essentially unchanged, so there would be nothing to do if you had already followed them before with SpamSieve 2. So I’m curious to know what prompted you to change the setup and what changes you made.

Is this Train as Spam problem what you mean when you say it’s “not working properly” or is there another issue? In any case, please use the Save Diagnostic Report command in the Help menu and send me the report file, as described here, and I’ll take a look at what’s going on on your Mac.

I’m sorry you’re having a bad experience. While we’re continuing to make lots of changes to improve the new Mail extension setup with macOS Sonoma, there have been hardly any problem reports from customers using the Mail plug-in on Ventura and earlier vesrions. Everything about the Mail setup works almost exactly the same way as before.

Thanks for sending the diagnostic report.

Given my limited computer skills, I automatically assumed that it would be necessary to update to SS 3.0.1.

It’s only necessary to update if you’re using macOS Sonoma. However, I do recommend that everyone update.

I must familiarize myself with the auto-update feature.

There’s more information about it here. It’s enabled by default. Basically, it will automatically tell you when there’s a new version, and then you would just click the Download & Install button.

As to any changes that I may have made, I followed the manual instructions to install the plug-in.

As far as I can tell from the diagnostic report, you have had the plug-in installed since September, and it was continuing to work. You updated to SpamSieve 3.0.1 on October 19.

Then, for unknown reasons, you installed the plug-in again three times on November 10, 11, and 12. Later that day, it looks like you went to Settings ‣ Apple Mail ‣ Setup and turned off the plug-in by selecting Enable spam filtering using Mail extension instead. Then you switched it back to Enable spam filtering using Mail plug-in and installed the plug-in a fourth time.

So I’m confused about why you decided to do all this stuff over the last few days, when it looks like you had already installed the update nearly a month ago and that it had been working.

You also have two extra SpamSieve rules in Mail’s Settings window that should be deleted. Just keep the one at the top that’s marked Active.

I still wonder why trained “Spam”items do not appear in the Junk mailbox, and do not disappear from the pane.

The log shows that the messages you trained as spam today were already in the Junk mailbox when you used the Train as Spam command. Such messages are not SpamSieve mistakes and so do not need to be trained.

Thanks for your lengthy, helpful email. Everything is now working very smoothly, so I will refrain from responding to a couple of your questions. As to why I installed the plug-in three times, put it down to my age (91!)and lack of computer skills.

I am very grateful for all your help and patience with me. Thank you !!

Regards,

Mike Blayney

1 Like