URLs in To Import throw "unidentified developer" error

I was able to save a URL from my iPhone to the To Import directory. When I got back to my Mac, the file had been turned into a webarchive in EF, which is all good and I can view it.

However, if I try to open the webarchive file through the file system (on this machine, on another Mac, on my iPad using Documents), I’m unable to open it. On both Macs, I get the message “[name] cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.” I am running macOS 10.15.6, and on my iPad I am running iOS 13 (whatever the latest dot release).

I have a screen shot of the error, if that’s useful.

Thanks.

Does it work if you open them from within Safari or drag and drop onto Safari?

If you Get Info on the Web archive, it should say under Open with which app it’s going to open in. What does that say?

Open With gives me Safari (default), and then EagleFiler, Evernote, and TextEdit.

I get the same error when I drag the file and drop it onto the Safari dock icon. However, if I start from Safari and do File, Open, it works.

I’m not sure what causes it, but sometimes macOS marks documents as quarantined, and it seems to treat them as untrusted applications even though they are just documents. Opening using the contextual menu should work. Or perhaps one of the workarounds here will help.

It’s also possible to bulk-remove the quarantine from files using the xattr -c command in Terminal or Sandstrip.

Okay. The workarounds are good. Thanks.

I’ll make the next version of EagleFiler fix the quarantine for you automatically.

That would be great.

Do you think this would also fix the issue of not being able to open it in Documents on my iPad?

What error does Documents give you? Does removing the quarantine using xattr or Sandstrip on the Mac fix the problem in Documents?

It doesn’t throw an error - the webarchive file opens into Documents, and just shows a blank page. This happens even if the quarantine has been “lifted”. I did email Readdle to see if they had any ideas, but have not heard back.

OK, that sounds like an unrelated issue, then.

EagleFiler 1.9 fixes the file quarantine automatically when importing.

Great! Thank you!

I’ve added the Remove Quarantine script, which makes it easy to fix the files that are selected in EagleFiler.