Using Hook With EagleFiler

Luc Beaudoin writes:

We recently updated Hook integration scripts to work even better with EagleFiler.

[…]

Hook and EagleFiler solve different but tightly related and very important information management problems. (See wikipedia pages on Personal information management and Information retrieval.) They both can improve cognitive productivity. Using them together compounds their benefits.

2 Likes

I’ve also written the following blog post: Organize, Search, and Archive Key Information with EagleFiler, Including Hook-Linked Files! – Hook with some tips on using EagleFiler and Hook together.

When one gets into the habit of using Link to New to add new linked notes (any file can be a note), one can start generating a lot of notes. I’ve set an EagleFiler library to be the default repository for my Hook created notes, and I’ve moved a bunch of notes into the library too.

Hook doesn’t have its own files, it links content. (Well, Hook can generate .hook files, which are plain text replacements for aliases and .webloc files).

Comments welcome. (I’m the Hook product designer).

I’ve recently been playing with The Archive and Obsidian. Here’s the underlying strategy.

• Use plain text.
  • Use Markdown to address output formatting needs.
  • Include wiki links in the text documents.
  • Include tags in the text documents.

The apps are proprietary, but the link styles are standard. So, the files and all links are (with a modest amount of tweaking) portable not only across apps, but also across operating systems. Although I can do quite a bit in plain text, I still need to include other types of files. Therefore, EagleFiler. And I think that Hook has a more elegant linking capability (although I’m just learning it). But as the macOS undergoes radical changes, portability is looming large in my ruminations. I would be interested in your thoughts.