Using "Train as Spam" does not move messages to Spam folder

Hi: yeah i did use the test script; DL’d it twice to make sure; and apparently my last back up included the bad stuff; and it does seem that the problem is in scripteditor itself or script runner?

i keep getting the error messages scriptrunner[23684] Damaged script file plus i can’t open any scripts using script editor although it opens a new empty file when i start it. but gives errors like “the document …tigerspam.scpt” could not be opened.

[I am using 10.4.11 w/ so many upgrades for tons of apps & utils that i just can’t see going through an archive and reinstall and reupdates on they entire system or am i missing something about doing that?]

do you know what all i would need to reinstall using pacifist for entirely replacing applescript, including any core system items, etc that would replace everything related to scripting/apple script/ script editor/ script runner etc? any of the kexts frameworks etc? (not that I know what that is but I see it in the open files window when looking at activity monitor stuff). :slight_smile:

thanks! – really appreciate your help i don’t get how all of a sudden it just stopped working.*

Neither. They’re both reporting an error, and it’s unlikely that both are bad. That’s why I think the problem is elsewhere.

If Script Editor cannot open a file, the problem is either with the script, possibly with the application(s) that the script talks to, or with your system (or system add-ons). The script that you downloaded is fine. You can verify that SpamSieve (an application that the script talks to) is fine by replacing your copy with a freshly downloaded one. Beyond that, I’m afraid the problem is with some other software (or perhaps data) on your Mac.

Yes, it would be a lot of work. That’s why I was hoping you had a backup from before the problem started. Frankly, I think it’s worrisome when something that should definitely work unexpectedly fails without a useful error message. Not being able to train spam messages is a bad, but who knows what else is malfunctioning as a result of the underlying problem? If you don’t have a backup, it seems to me that the choice is between an Archive & Install and running a broken system indefinitely.*

these are very good points – and script editor could not open any scripts that I tried – so…what I’m thinking now is:
if I find an older back up of a system that has a clean apple script / script editor (all the related system and app. components) etc, and if i use just those applescript related items (since it would be too old to do a complete restore from such an old backup), OR if I use Pacifist to reinstall the 10.4.11 system’s applescript components do you know what applescript / scripting / system / core / kext or other type items should I replace/re-install by any chance?

thanks again for your assistance and advice.

I recommend starting from a known good system, rather than replacing individual files to try to make the symptoms go away.

okay well that sounds kind of unlikely since the backup seems mucked up too. darnit.

Just in case this tells you anything new or helpful, I did get another error message when testing whether the script would open/run: “Unable to read the dictionary of the application or extension because it is not scriptable.”

thanks

That’s interesting, but I don’t think it really changes anything.