V# simply refuses to work

Would I be correct that the reason those inactive accounts did not hinder SS in the past is because prior versions used a plug in while v3 uses an extension?

Yes, with the plug-in Mail would just send SpamSieve the new messages to process, and it didn’t even know which account they were coming from. The Mail extension system is unfortunately not reliable at doing that, so we have to go the other way and have SpamSieve ask Mail which messages are new and need to be filtered. It asks Mail for accounts by name, and it turns out that some people have multiple accounts with the same name and so sometimes Mail will return the “wrong” one. There are some changes in SpamSieve 3.0.1 to detect this situation and give you a better error message.

Good morning Michael,

A quick update: everything seems to be working properly now so I want to thank you again for you excellent assistance in resolving my issue with SpamSieve.

On a completely unrelated matter having absolutely nothing to do with your app: since you are obviously intimately familiar with how Apple Mail works, might you have any insight into why Apple Mail has populated my mailboxes with all kinds of extraneous crap and might you be willing to offer some advice on how to clean it up?

For example (as shown in the attached screenshots), one of my accounts has two ’Sent’ mailboxes, both of which have messages in them. The messages are reasonably contemporary but not redundant between boxes. Also, there are two Deleted Messages boxes; why? There is a ‘blshaw @ pubbuds.com’ folder inside ‘blshaw @ pubbuds.com’ mailbox. The ‘Received’ folder inside the former is full of messages from 2016 and 2017; huh? There is also yet another blshaw @ pubbuds.com’ folder inside the Junk folder. There is nothing inside it but its ‘Received’ subfolder is full of the same 2016 and 2017 messages

This freakin’ mess is driving me nuts! I have other accounts that are similarly messed up. If you cannot assist - I certainly understand if you can’t since this has nothing to do with your application - I will post something on the Apple forum to see if someone there can explain all this.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

1 Like

My guess is that you have multiple Macs or other devices that have Mailbox Behaviors configured differently. In other words, they do not agree on which mailbox to use as the special Sent mailbox, Trash, etc. Or perhaps they disagree with your mail server’s Webmail (which might not be configurable). If you can get all the devices set up the same way, new messages should then start all going to the same places, and then you could move the old messages there, too, and get rid of the now-empty extra mailboxes.

Thank you sir!!! I’ll check all of that (yes, two Macs, two iPads 2 iPhones).

BTW, I just paid the fee for a family license.