V# simply refuses to work

SpamSieve had been working flawlessly for years. I just uograded to v3 and the app DOES NOT WORK. I have followed all the setup instructions to the letter and read every suggestion (I think) regarding trouble shooting. It does correctly classify and colorize SOME spam but will NOT move anything to the assigned spam/junk mailboxes. If I manually select “Train as Spam” relative to a messgae that SS thought was good, it will correctly move the selected message to Junk, but if I receive another identical message - which happens often - the new one is not moved, i.e. SpamSieve didn’t learn anything from the previous manual classification. Since I receive at least a hundred spam message a day, this is driving me nuts.

Any idea what I am missing?

I am running OSX 13.5 Ventura on an M1 MacBook Pro. I have attached a diagnostic report.

1 Like

It looks like after the upgrade you switched to the Mail extension setup. That worked for a while, and then at some point you got hit by the Mail bug. Fortunately, you had the Filter spam messages in other mailboxes feature set up to work around this, but it’s encountering errors accessing the inbox, as you can seen the Log window.

Is blshaw the only account that’s having this problem? I don’t think I see this error for other accounts. Have you perhaps renamed that account recently in Mail’s settings?

(You may want to click here to reduce the amount of debug logging that’s shown in the log.)

Thanks for the mighty-fast reply Michael. There are several accounts on my Mac (that’s why I receive so many spam messagers each day), including brian@pubbuds, djshaw@pubbuds and debbie@pubbuds). I also have a slew of gmail accounts as well but they almost never receive spam so they are a non-issue regarding SS. Note that I have been turning the ‘Filter spam messages in other mailboxes on and off’ in an attempt to get this working (it is on now). Still not working.

To your question about renaming accounts: are you asking if I might have changed the actual email address (no) or the simple name I have given it in Apple Mail’s settings (I might have but don’t think so).

If this is due to the specific Apple bug you mention, would upgrading my OS to 14 change anything (that is on my agenda anyway)?

BTW, I have never understood why or how Apple Mail on my machine has an INBOX inside the Inbox (see screenshot). This does not appear in other accounts (there are also multiple Sent folders, multiple Deleted Messages folders, etc.; it’s a freekin’ mess). There is never anything inside the INBOX. But before SS v3 everything worked regardless.

No, I don’t think it’s due to that bug or that updating to Sonoma would help.

I think this is likely the cause of the problem, that you have two mailboxes called INBOX and Mail and SpamSieve are getting confused about which one is being referred to. If this mailbox and the Apple Mail To Do and Deleted Messages inside of it are all empty, I recommend deleting them, and I think that may fix the filtering problem, too.

I’ll give 'er a try. Stay tuned. But note that the ‘brian@’ accunt does not have an INBOX inside its Inbox but that account also receives spam messages that SS is not filtering.

OK, I just deleted the INBOX folder and am awaiting the next incoming spam message to see what happens. I did restart Apple Mail just to make sure the change ‘took’ and then asked SS to Filter Messages but it didn’t do anything with the several spams that were already in there.

Just got a new spam since my deletion. It was identical to several that I’ve been receiving lately from the same source and have asked SS to train as spam. SS did not tag it as spam and did not move it. The log still says "Can’t get mailbox “INBOX” of account “blshaw @ pubbuds”.

Sample spam, in blue, since a couple of hours or so ago, unfiltered, unmoved by SS.

Please open the Terminal app in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder, enter this command:

osascript -s s -e 'tell application "Mail" to get mailbox "INBOX" of account "blshaw @ pubbuds"'

and tell me what it shows. Also, what does this command show:

osascript -s s -e 'tell application "Mail" to get mailboxs of account "blshaw @ pubbuds"'

?

Please open the Terminal app in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder, enter this command:

osascript -s s -e 'tell application "Mail" to get mailbox "INBOX" of account "blshaw @ pubbuds"'

and tell me what it shows.

Brians-M1-MBP:bin blshaw$ osascript -s s -e ‘tell application “Mail” to get mailbox “INBOX” of account “blshaw @ pubbuds”’

31:46: execution error: Mail got an error: Can’t get mailbox “INBOX” of account “blshaw @ pubbuds”. (-1728)

Also, what does this command show:

osascript -s s -e 'tell application "Mail" to get mailboxs of account "blshaw @ pubbuds”’

Brians-M1-MBP:bin blshaw$ osascript -s s -e ‘tell application “Mail” to get mailboxs of account “blshaw @ pubbuds”’

31:39: execution error: Mail got an error: Can’t make mailboxs of account “blshaw @ pubbuds” into type specifier. (-1700)

Sorry, there was a typo. Please try the second one again with:

osascript -s s -e 'tell application "Mail" to get mailboxes of account "blshaw @ pubbuds"'

Done

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.

For more details, please visit Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support.

Brians-M1-MBP:bin blshaw$ osascript -s s -e ‘tell application “Mail” to get mailboxes of account “blshaw @ pubbuds”’

No change (yet). For the hell of it, I quit and restarted Mail, but no affect.

Done

The default interactive shell is now zsh.
To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.
For more details, please visit Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support.
Brians-M1-MBP:bin blshaw$ osascript -s s -e ‘tell application “Mail” to get mailboxes of account “blshaw @ pubbuds”’

Thanks. It looks like maybe you didn’t press Return after pasting that in? Or did it really not show any output?

Sorry Michael, I think you are correct that I didn’t press . I just did and here are the results which are nothing more than a couple of braces:

{}

Brians-M1-MBP:bin blshaw$

Here, also, is a screenshot of the latest log entries"

BTW, SS is no longer colorizing anything as suspected spam; it had been doing so even though it didn’t move anything.

Sorry Michael, I think you are correct that I didn’t press . I just did and here are the results which are nothing more than a couple of braces:

{}
Brians-M1-MBP:bin blshaw$

Here, also, is a screenshot of the latest log entries"

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 06.47.24.jpeg

Could you check the Accounts section of Mail’s settings? I wonder whether maybe you have two different accounts both named blshaw @ pubbuds and one of them doesn’t have any mailboxes. If that’s the case, renaming the empty one to something else would probably help.

Are you referring to just this account, or all of them?

I don’t know how it got there, but there is one. It is ‘inactive’ though. I will delete it.

Dang, you know your stuff! As soon as I deleted the ‘inactive’ account, SS started moving a boatload of spam messages to trash. That was surely obscure!! Let me watch for a while and see if SS is working with respect to all the other accounts too. Stay tuned!